From: BillW50 on
On 8/1/2010 11:53 PM, Bob Pownall wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 3:27 AM, Hank Arnold wrote:
>> I'm using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 (10.0.11345) on W7 Ultimate
>> 32-bit with no problems.
>>

> Hank,
>
> I had been looking some at Acronis for backup on W7 Professional 32-bit.
>
> I see several options under "Backup and Recovery". (e.g. "Advanced
> Server", "Advanced Server Virtual Edition", "Server for Windows", ...)
> Which would you suggest for a home user? Or do you think Acronis is
> overkill for my situation?
>
> Bob Pownall

There are free versions of Acronis True Image too. If you have a Seagate
or a WD one or the other will work with it.

Acronis True Image Seagate Edition (DiscWizard)
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Acronis True Image WD Edition
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&type=download&wdc_lang=en

Just a side note, I documented lots of problems with Acronis True Image.
If interested I can post them if you would like.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2
From: BillW50 on
On 8/1/2010 1:18 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
> I've been using Acronis True Image Home since 10/2006 and am completely
> satisfied with it. FWIW, I'm a retired IT person and take backups very
> seriously.

I have been involved with computers since the 70's and I too use Acronis
True Image. Although on some machines and setups, there are some very
serious issues with the product. The biggest problem is that some
backups on some USB hard drives won't restore. Acronis True Image answer
is to use an internal drive to save backups. And I find this totally
unacceptable! And it is only Acronis True Image that has this problem. I
never seen Paragon or any other backup program that has this limitation.
And I have a few pages of other problems I have had with Acronis True
Image as well. So it is far from perfect.

From: ahall on
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> writes:

> On 8/1/2010 1:18 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> I've been using Acronis True Image Home since 10/2006 and am completely
>> satisfied with it. FWIW, I'm a retired IT person and take backups very
>> seriously.
>
> I have been involved with computers since the 70's and I too use
> Acronis True Image. Although on some machines and setups, there are
> some very serious issues with the product. The biggest problem is that
> some backups on some USB hard drives won't restore. Acronis True Image
> answer is to use an internal drive to save backups. And I find this
> totally unacceptable! And it is only Acronis True Image that has this
> problem. I never seen Paragon or any other backup program that has
> this limitation. And I have a few pages of other problems I have had
> with Acronis True Image as well. So it is far from perfect.

That does sound serious. Would that limitation apply to an eSata
external drive?

Can Acronis make a bootable backup on an eSata drive?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: BillW50 on
In news:kpgwrs4bpja.fsf(a)panix3.panix.com,
ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com typed on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 19:36:25 -0400:
> BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> writes:
>
>> On 8/1/2010 1:18 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
>>> I've been using Acronis True Image Home since 10/2006 and am
>>> completely satisfied with it. FWIW, I'm a retired IT person and
>>> take backups very seriously.
>>
>> I have been involved with computers since the 70's and I too use
>> Acronis True Image. Although on some machines and setups, there are
>> some very serious issues with the product. The biggest problem is
>> that some backups on some USB hard drives won't restore. Acronis
>> True Image answer is to use an internal drive to save backups. And I
>> find this totally unacceptable! And it is only Acronis True Image
>> that has this problem. I never seen Paragon or any other backup
>> program that has this limitation. And I have a few pages of other
>> problems I have had with Acronis True Image as well. So it is far
>> from perfect.
>
> That does sound serious. Would that limitation apply to an eSata
> external drive?
>
> Can Acronis make a bootable backup on an eSata drive?
>
> Thanks,

As far as I know, it only effects USB drives. And nobody else ever said,
but the USB drives I have it is only a problem with those that times out
and stops the drive. It is like Acronis True Image doesn't give it
enough time to spin back up again. And according to Acronis True Image,
they say using internal drives solves the problem. So that is all I know
right now.