From: Joel Koltner on
"Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> But how could RS give it away for free if the product costs 447 pounds
> (UK)? Unless it's one of those limited pin number versions, that
> wouldn't be very useful.

The files all identify themselves as "version 13," whereas the actual EasyPC
is up to version 14 these days. So perhaps the business model is... the
maintenance users of the current version are essentially paying for new
development, but WestDev can take the last major version, re-brand it a bit,
and make an additional small bit of income by re-selling it to DesignSpark,
Advanced Circuits, etc. to use it for a very modest price?

WestDev can count on the vast majority of their users -- or at least those who
actually have some spare cash -- always wanting the "latest and greatest"
version, so I wouldn't think they'd have much to lose with this approach...

That is all idle speculation, though. Although if you ever find yourself in
the U.K. and know of a good brewpub near Tewesbury, I could point you to the
right individuals at WestDev to ask... :-)

---Joel

From: John Devereux on
"Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> But how could RS give it away for free if the product costs 447 pounds
>> (UK)? Unless it's one of those limited pin number versions, that
>> wouldn't be very useful.
>
> The files all identify themselves as "version 13," whereas the actual
> EasyPC is up to version 14 these days. So perhaps the business model
> is... the maintenance users of the current version are essentially
> paying for new development, but WestDev can take the last major
> version, re-brand it a bit, and make an additional small bit of income
> by re-selling it to DesignSpark, Advanced Circuits, etc. to use it for
> a very modest price?
>
> WestDev can count on the vast majority of their users -- or at least
> those who actually have some spare cash -- always wanting the "latest
> and greatest" version, so I wouldn't think they'd have much to lose
> with this approach...
>
> That is all idle speculation, though. Although if you ever find
> yourself in the U.K. and know of a good brewpub near Tewesbury, I
> could point you to the right individuals at WestDev to ask... :-)

Hey, don't forget to invite me, that's where I live! :)

Funny to see this on an international newsgroup, it's a small rural town
- population only ~10k.

--

John Devereux
From: Joerg on
John Devereux wrote:
> "Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> But how could RS give it away for free if the product costs 447 pounds
>>> (UK)? Unless it's one of those limited pin number versions, that
>>> wouldn't be very useful.
>> The files all identify themselves as "version 13," whereas the actual
>> EasyPC is up to version 14 these days. So perhaps the business model
>> is... the maintenance users of the current version are essentially
>> paying for new development, but WestDev can take the last major
>> version, re-brand it a bit, and make an additional small bit of income
>> by re-selling it to DesignSpark, Advanced Circuits, etc. to use it for
>> a very modest price?
>>
>> WestDev can count on the vast majority of their users -- or at least
>> those who actually have some spare cash -- always wanting the "latest
>> and greatest" version, so I wouldn't think they'd have much to lose
>> with this approach...
>>
>> That is all idle speculation, though. Although if you ever find
>> yourself in the U.K. and know of a good brewpub near Tewesbury, I
>> could point you to the right individuals at WestDev to ask... :-)
>
> Hey, don't forget to invite me, that's where I live! :)
>
> Funny to see this on an international newsgroup, it's a small rural town
> - population only ~10k.

However, being local doesn't mean you know all of them :-)

When I was in Sunnyvale a couple of weeks ago the client engineer and I
spotted two Irish pubs and went into one of them. Next day at the
company we were visiting one of the guys said "Where? Where is it?". He
lives there and has a good old Irish family name ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.