From: Joerg on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:

[...]
>>> Just one example--I recently tried to buy several thousands of
>>> BC550/60C transistors. The funny thing was Avnet had BC560CTA @ $0.0163
>>> each but no BC550C at all. I bought 2 ammopacks of 2,000 for $65 from them
>>> (that was all they had in stock.) On the other hand Arrow only had (and
>>> still have) BC550CTA at the same price but no BC560C at all. That was a
>>> couple of days ago. Now Avnet has 32K of BC550CTA in stock. If you were
>>> shopping at Avnet only a week ago you would've said that BC550C are
>>> unobtanium because they do not have them in stock while both findchips and
>>> octopart kept telling Arrow has plenty in stock.
>>>
>> Just what I said all along, should have gone to Digikey, they have
>> oodles of them:
>>
>> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=BC550CGOS-ND
>
> If you want to pay 3x the price, sure. And 7,055 pcs is not "oodles." And
> even those are just remnants, the other BC550Cxx are non-stocked. And this
> only one will also go non-stocked when they are bought.
>
> And they are exactly at the same point with BC560C. 4,000 left in stock at
> 2x price and a big fat warning they will go non-stocked once that inventory
> is sold.

Sergey, let's face it, nearly all thru-hole stuff is going to head for
lalaland. Ok, we were really early adopters over in Europe back then,
but since the start of my industrial career in 1986 I can't remember any
thru-hole board I have designed. And I've designed tons of boards.

There will always be mfgs for thru-hole, just like Sovtek and Svetlana
do for tubes, but it's going to be boutique-ware.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>> Do they?
>> Yes.
>
> Have you ever tried findchips/octopart?

Have you tried the example I gave you this morning?

>>> And another question -- even if they were so unique why would one start
>>> searching anything on DigiKey (or whatever be it Mouser/Allied/Arrow/etc?)
>> Because they give one a good idea what's really available and a "budgetary"
>> price (normal price ~= DigiKey * .6). I then specify production hardware,
>> generally, from Arrow or Avnet. Sometimes Future and a few others.
>>
>>> It is much wiser to start with something like findchips.com or Octopart that
>>> would search _MULTIPLE_ sites for you and then you could choose which one to
>>> use... Octopart even has a FireFox plugin that installs alongside with
>>> Google and friends.
>> Why? I'm not buying from them anyway. DigiKey availability tells me a lot.
>
> It tells absolutely nothing. Zero, nada, zilch. If DigiKey doesn't stock
> anything it absolutely doesn't mean it is not available from others. And the
> opposite is also true--if they have some obscure part in stock it doesn't
> mean somebody still manufacture that part and it is available from somewhere
> else.

Not always, of course, but generally Digikey is a pretty good indicator.

> And one more thing--parts availability is constantly changing these days.
> Sometimes the entire quite sizable stock gets purchased buy somebody else
> literally from under your hands. Yesterday I put a box of polystyrene
> capacitors in my cart on Mouser and kept shopping for something like 10
> minutes. When I returned to the cart to checkout they all gone; somebody
> bought their entire stock and now that particular part is on backorder.

Get used to it, this will continue for at least a year I guess. In a
teleconference this morning I did what I do a lot these days, advised a
client to buy and stash parts for a new project even though we aren't
100% sure we need all of them and the first lots aren't done until end
of this year. Everybody does that, has to.

If it's any comfort the same happened to me. Had my basket almost done,
phone rang. I answered the phone. BIG mistake. A few minutes later I
returned to my order and ... "Hey, where's my inductors?"

From: Grant on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:46:59 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>> krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>> Have you ever tried findchips/octopart?
>>

>Have you tried the example I gave you this morning?

>>> Because they give one a good idea what's really available and a "budgetary"
>>> price (normal price ~= DigiKey * .6). I then specify production hardware,
>>> generally, from Arrow or Avnet. Sometimes Future and a few others.

>>> Why? I'm not buying from them anyway. DigiKey availability tells me a lot.
>>
>> It tells absolutely nothing. Zero, nada, zilch. If DigiKey doesn't stock
>> anything it absolutely doesn't mean it is not available from others. And the
>> opposite is also true--if they have some obscure part in stock it doesn't
>> mean somebody still manufacture that part and it is available from somewhere
>> else.
>>

>Not always, of course, but generally Digikey is a pretty good indicator.
>

>> And one more thing--parts availability is constantly changing these days.
>> Sometimes the entire quite sizable stock gets purchased buy somebody else
>> literally from under your hands. Yesterday I put a box of polystyrene
>> capacitors in my cart on Mouser and kept shopping for something like 10
>> minutes. When I returned to the cart to checkout they all gone; somebody
>> bought their entire stock and now that particular part is on backorder.
>>

>Get used to it, this will continue for at least a year I guess. In a
>teleconference this morning I did what I do a lot these days, advised a
>client to buy and stash parts for a new project even though we aren't
>100% sure we need all of them and the first lots aren't done until end
>of this year. Everybody does that, has to.
>
>If it's any comfort the same happened to me. Had my basket almost done,
>phone rang. I answered the phone. BIG mistake. A few minutes later I
>returned to my order and ... "Hey, where's my inductors?"

Or place several orders while shopping, but the suppliers I deal
with can't amalgamate orders once they're placed. Twice recently
I've had overnight, interstate, free delivery of a single 2c part
(of 100 ordered), instead of them amalgamating it with next delivery.

Grant.
From: Joerg on
Grant wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:46:59 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:

>>> Have you ever tried findchips/octopart?
>>>
>> Have you tried the example I gave you this morning?

>>> It tells absolutely nothing. Zero, nada, zilch. If DigiKey doesn't stock
>>> anything it absolutely doesn't mean it is not available from others. And the
>>> opposite is also true--if they have some obscure part in stock it doesn't
>>> mean somebody still manufacture that part and it is available from somewhere
>>> else.
>>>
>> Not always, of course, but generally Digikey is a pretty good indicator.
>>

>>> And one more thing--parts availability is constantly changing these days.
>>> Sometimes the entire quite sizable stock gets purchased buy somebody else
>>> literally from under your hands. Yesterday I put a box of polystyrene
>>> capacitors in my cart on Mouser and kept shopping for something like 10
>>> minutes. When I returned to the cart to checkout they all gone; somebody
>>> bought their entire stock and now that particular part is on backorder.
>>>
>> Get used to it, this will continue for at least a year I guess. In a
>> teleconference this morning I did what I do a lot these days, advised a
>> client to buy and stash parts for a new project even though we aren't
>> 100% sure we need all of them and the first lots aren't done until end
>> of this year. Everybody does that, has to.
>>
>> If it's any comfort the same happened to me. Had my basket almost done,
>> phone rang. I answered the phone. BIG mistake. A few minutes later I
>> returned to my order and ... "Hey, where's my inductors?"
>
> Or place several orders while shopping, but the suppliers I deal
> with can't amalgamate orders once they're placed. Twice recently
> I've had overnight, interstate, free delivery of a single 2c part
> (of 100 ordered), instead of them amalgamating it with next delivery.

Well, if it's any consolation, even Walmart couldn't amalgamate my
orders so far. I ordered a DVD recorder. Free shipping. But, doesn't
come with HDMI cable, so added one to the cart. That part has no free
shipping unless you have it delivered to a brick-and-mortar Walmart.
Can't they just pack it with the recorder? Nope, of course not. They
arrived there but with two different shipment dates and then you always
have to hope that the pickup windows (before they send it back) overlap
enough. Strange.

From: krw on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:12:59 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Grant wrote:

>>> Have you tried the example I gave you this morning?

>>> Not always, of course, but generally Digikey is a pretty good indicator.

>>> Get used to it, this will continue for at least a year I guess. In a
>>> teleconference this morning I did what I do a lot these days, advised a
>>> client to buy and stash parts for a new project even though we aren't
>>> 100% sure we need all of them and the first lots aren't done until end
>>> of this year. Everybody does that, has to.
>>>
>>> If it's any comfort the same happened to me. Had my basket almost done,
>>> phone rang. I answered the phone. BIG mistake. A few minutes later I
>>> returned to my order and ... "Hey, where's my inductors?"
>>
>> Or place several orders while shopping, but the suppliers I deal
>> with can't amalgamate orders once they're placed. Twice recently
>> I've had overnight, interstate, free delivery of a single 2c part
>> (of 100 ordered), instead of them amalgamating it with next delivery.
>>

>Well, if it's any consolation, even Walmart couldn't amalgamate my
>orders so far. I ordered a DVD recorder. Free shipping. But, doesn't
>come with HDMI cable, so added one to the cart. That part has no free
>shipping unless you have it delivered to a brick-and-mortar Walmart.
>Can't they just pack it with the recorder? Nope, of course not. They
>arrived there but with two different shipment dates and then you always
>have to hope that the pickup windows (before they send it back) overlap
>enough. Strange.

Don't know about this case, but often stuff like this comes from different
fulfillment warehouses. This very often happens with NewEgg, too.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: DC motor opinion/question
Next: RPM Meter