From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:11:22 -0700, the renowned Joerg
<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Spehro Pefhany wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:30:03 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Ok then, go on Findchips, key in this:
>>>
>>> 0.1uF ceramic
>>>
>>> Then you know what I mean. According to the results most distributors
>>> don't carry any. I guess that takes the cake.
>>
>> Well, it is called findchips. You have to go to findcaps.com for
>> capacitors.
>>

>The first category on there was "umbrellas". Hmmm ... :-)
>

>> I like the hack that allows you to sort by price on Digikey (using
>> Greasemonkey). Shame they don't incorporate it themselves.
>>

>Hack? Where? Where? <pant ... pant>

I use this with Firefox.

Note that it has to load the pages first, so if you have scores of
pages it might take a moment or two each time you search, even with a
fast internet connection, but all-in-all it's a good thing. I
generally leave it turned on all the time.

http://students.washington.edu/acleone/codes/greasemonkey/digikey_sort_by_price/

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
From: Joerg on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:

>>> Nah, I don't do mass-production of those. There is no _THAT_ many people who
>>> want to purchase a high-quality (not audiofool HiEnd one with inferior
>>> parameters but enormous price tag) phono corrector :) My program is a couple
>>> of thousands. And it is not just because of low demand but also because of
>>> component availability. I'm using Russian Military Surplus/Spare Parts
>>> Repository polystyrene capacitors, K71-1 with 0.5% tolerance and that is
>>> limited and finite supply. Once they gone they gone forever.
>>>
>>> That product is hand-assembled so I don't care who does mass production :)

>>> Thanks, but they are not any better than BC850/860. Roughly the same specs.
>>>
>>> BTW, I'd better go purchase a couple of reels of BC850C and BC860C while
>>> they are available (from Mouser :)) before they gone...
>>>
>>> It is not BJTs that are so rare, it is JFETs... I would've been extremely
>>> happy if 2SK369 existed in SOT-23... There is another problem though--I need
>>> matched pairs of those :( Not something that can be done with Pick-and-Place
>>> machine...
>>>
>>> There are Linear systems LSK389 but they are single source and not very
>>> reliable one... One should be out of his mind to design something with such
>>> a Maximese part...
>>>
>> The only dual FETs I am aware of (I mean that are left) are RF
>> transistors. But it's MOSFETs. And even then you often down know how
>> they track because most are multi-chip, meaning just two devices in one
>> package, hoping that they come from the same area on the same wafer.
>> Even then tracking won't be good.
>
> There is LSK389 dual monolythic JFET from Linear Systems that is supposed to
> be a copy of Toshiba 2SK389 but they are not widely available. It is kinda
> boutique part. And they did not copy the 2SK389 p-channel twin, 2SJ109 :(
>
> So for the current production (since not so long ago) the only ones are
> single 2SK170/2SJ74 from Toshiba. They are TO-92 only... The better
> n-channel one, 2SK369 (it has twice the Yfs of 2SK170) unfortunately is not
> accompanied with a p-channel complement :(

You audio guys always want complement and stuff. "Yes, the appetizer was
good. But the caviar was not Beluga."

>>> As for the capacitors, Panasonic makes SMD polyphenylensulfide (hope I
>>> spelled it right) ones that are supposedly on par with polypropylens but I
>>> didn't try them yet. And the tolerance issue remains--they are 5%...
>>>
>> I've had that issue with 2x45 degree phase shifters in late 80s when
>> helping another team. Had told them not to use direct conversion but ...
>>
>> Anyhow, we paid through the nose for 0.5% film caps.
>
> For quality audio one should only use polystyrene or at least polypropylene
> capacitors so it is not just _film_ ones :) Russian surplus is not all that
> expensive but it is not easy to get and the supply is finite; they don't
> make them any more :( I'm paying something like $0.2-$0.35 when buying in
> bulk through my russian buddies close to those military warehouses.

Well, that just the trick, Russian buddies :-)

Back in the late 80s I had the minor Problem that the iron curtain
hadn't fallen yet. Reagan asked Gorbachev a few times to knock it down
but Gorbachev wasn't quite ready to get the sledgehammer out of the
basement. An aggravating factor was that my knowledge of the Russian
language consisted of the word na'sdarovje :-)

So we had to live with whatever material we could get. And that sure
wasn't much to write home about.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:28:15 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>> Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> The only dual FETs I am aware of (I mean that are left) are RF
>>> transistors. But it's MOSFETs. And even then you often down know how
>>> they track because most are multi-chip, meaning just two devices in one
>>> package, hoping that they come from the same area on the same wafer.
>>> Even then tracking won't be good.
>>
>> There is LSK389 dual monolythic JFET from Linear Systems that is supposed to
>> be a copy of Toshiba 2SK389 but they are not widely available. It is kinda
>> boutique part. And they did not copy the 2SK389 p-channel twin, 2SJ109 :(
>>
>> So for the current production (since not so long ago) the only ones are
>> single 2SK170/2SJ74 from Toshiba. They are TO-92 only... The better
>> n-channel one, 2SK369 (it has twice the Yfs of 2SK170) unfortunately is not
>> accompanied with a p-channel complement :(
>>

>You audio guys always want complement and stuff. "Yes, the appetizer was
>good. But the caviar was not Beluga."

>>> I've had that issue with 2x45 degree phase shifters in late 80s when
>>> helping another team. Had told them not to use direct conversion but ...
>>>
>>> Anyhow, we paid through the nose for 0.5% film caps.
>>
>> For quality audio one should only use polystyrene or at least polypropylene
>> capacitors so it is not just _film_ ones :) Russian surplus is not all that
>> expensive but it is not easy to get and the supply is finite; they don't
>> make them any more :( I'm paying something like $0.2-$0.35 when buying in
>> bulk through my russian buddies close to those military warehouses.
>>

>Well, that just the trick, Russian buddies :-)
>
>Back in the late 80s I had the minor Problem that the iron curtain
>hadn't fallen yet. Reagan asked Gorbachev a few times to knock it down
>but Gorbachev wasn't quite ready to get the sledgehammer out of the
>basement. An aggravating factor was that my knowledge of the Russian
>language consisted of the word na'sdarovje :-)
>
>So we had to live with whatever material we could get. And that sure
>wasn't much to write home about.

I spent six weeks working in Moscow, in the Breshnev days. I learned
four words

spa-seeba thank you

dos-ve-don-ya bye

milinki tiny (as in "tiny capitalist)

klooch tool of some/any sort

It was interesting.

John

From: Joerg on
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:11:22 -0700, the renowned Joerg
> <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Spehro Pefhany wrote:

>>> Well, it is called findchips. You have to go to findcaps.com for
>>> capacitors.
>>>
>> The first category on there was "umbrellas". Hmmm ... :-)
>>

>>> I like the hack that allows you to sort by price on Digikey (using
>>> Greasemonkey). Shame they don't incorporate it themselves.
>>>
>> Hack? Where? Where? <pant ... pant>
>
> I use this with Firefox.
>
> Note that it has to load the pages first, so if you have scores of
> pages it might take a moment or two each time you search, even with a
> fast internet connection, but all-in-all it's a good thing. I
> generally leave it turned on all the time.
>
> http://students.washington.edu/acleone/codes/greasemonkey/digikey_sort_by_price/

Thanks! Very intersting.

From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:28:15 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>>> Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

[...]

>>> For quality audio one should only use polystyrene or at least polypropylene
>>> capacitors so it is not just _film_ ones :) Russian surplus is not all that
>>> expensive but it is not easy to get and the supply is finite; they don't
>>> make them any more :( I'm paying something like $0.2-$0.35 when buying in
>>> bulk through my russian buddies close to those military warehouses.
>>>
>> Well, that just the trick, Russian buddies :-)
>>
>> Back in the late 80s I had the minor Problem that the iron curtain
>> hadn't fallen yet. Reagan asked Gorbachev a few times to knock it down
>> but Gorbachev wasn't quite ready to get the sledgehammer out of the
>> basement. An aggravating factor was that my knowledge of the Russian
>> language consisted of the word na'sdarovje :-)
>>
>> So we had to live with whatever material we could get. And that sure
>> wasn't much to write home about.
>
> I spent six weeks working in Moscow, in the Breshnev days. I learned
> four words
>
> spa-seeba thank you
>
> dos-ve-don-ya bye
>
> milinki tiny (as in "tiny capitalist)
>
> klooch tool of some/any sort

Does the last one sound like "kludge"?

Most of the Russian we heard in Germany was from returning POWs. Stuff
like "dawai" (quick, let's get moving here!), "raboti" (work),
"Rasberaitje pa piat" (line up in rows of five). Some of it made it into
the language just like "cool" did, or "angst" over here.

> It was interesting.

According to Russian engineers I've worked with it is a country with a
very deep cultural history, not just the well-known stuff such as the
Bolshoi theatre or the choirs. Unfortunately now very messed up by
organized crime and politicians, at least that's what they told me. If
you want to design stuff or start a business with any chance of an ROI
you have to leave :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: DC motor opinion/question
Next: RPM Meter