From: Joerg on
Tim Williams wrote:
> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:8b9fqiF925U1(a)mid.individual.net...
>> What parts are they? Boutique stuff?
>
> Regular stuff, a power transformer, a film capacitor, resistors...
>
>> I remember a long, long time ago when I bought some shares (really a
>> small amount of money) of a tiny company. Right afterwards the share
>> price went up and some minutes later it was back down to what I had paid.
>
> Sell sell sell! ;-)
>
>> BTW, sum'thin is wrong with the line breaks on your newsreader. Well,
>> problem is there are none ;-)
>
> Reads fine here. Does Thunderbird not do word wrap?

Sure it does, when set up right. It's only your posts that do not wrap
properly. When replying I fix them with "re-wrap".

>> Oh, forgot one thing that might cause it: Do you have a river near where
>> you live? Take some good binoculars and check whether a submarine
>> periscope and some antennas are sticking out the water, with a Chinese
>> flag on there, looking at your house :-)
>
> Wait, how'd YOU know I live next to a river?
>
> Spies everywhere!!! ;-)

Have your people call my people, they'll explain it :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> Tim Williams <tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> "Martin Riddle" <martin_rid(a)verizon.net> wrote in message news:i2ntnv$o1h$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>>> Maybe they don't like paying 3x the price for those parts?
>> I don't know about that, I've shopped around and it's no worse than a factor of 2, with most of them being on par or better.
>
> As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with
> Arrow/Avnet/etc. Sometimes even cheaper. And in most cases their markup is
> less than 100%.
>
> That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I
> never understood why people do purchase anything from them...

Because they have the only search engine that works.

[...]

From: Sergey Kubushyn on
Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>> Tim Williams <tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote:
>>> I don't know about that, I've shopped around and it's no worse than a factor of 2, with most of them being on par or better.
>>
>> As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with
>> Arrow/Avnet/etc. Sometimes even cheaper. And in most cases their markup is
>> less than 100%.
>>
>> That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I
>> never understood why people do purchase anything from them...
>>

> Because they have the only search engine that works.

Do they?

And another question -- even if they were so unique why would one start
searching anything on DigiKey (or whatever be it Mouser/Allied/Arrow/etc?)

It is much wiser to start with something like findchips.com or Octopart that
would search _MULTIPLE_ sites for you and then you could choose which one to
use... Octopart even has a FireFox plugin that installs alongside with
Google and friends.

---
* KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
From: Joerg on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>>> As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with
>>> Arrow/Avnet/etc. Sometimes even cheaper. And in most cases their markup is
>>> less than 100%.
>>>
>>> That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I
>>> never understood why people do purchase anything from them...
>>>
>> Because they have the only search engine that works.
>
> Do they?

Oh yeah. None of the others comes even close. And they know it.

> And another question -- even if they were so unique why would one start
> searching anything on DigiKey (or whatever be it Mouser/Allied/Arrow/etc?)

As I said, because I find stuff the fastest on Digikey. My clients have
to pay for my time on their projects and on their behalf I need to be
frugal with billed hours. Even if the parts for 2-3 prototypes end up
costing five bucks more that's peanuts compared to the frustrating extra
half hour on one of the other sites.

> It is much wiser to start with something like findchips.com or Octopart that
> would search _MULTIPLE_ sites for you and then you could choose which one to
> use... Octopart even has a FireFox plugin that installs alongside with
> Google and friends.

That only works if you already know what you want, down to the part
number. I often must peruse the selection, see what's there, high in
stock, low in price. The main reason is that most of my circuitry is
discretes, not big fat ICs where you just key in a part number. My
searches are more like "I need something in the 0.01uF range but sturdy
for RF currents and at least 200V" or "I need a 50V/2A Schottky but it
has to be cheap".

Regards,

Joerg
From: krw on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:10:20 GMT, Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:

>Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
>>>
>>> As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with
>>> Arrow/Avnet/etc. Sometimes even cheaper. And in most cases their markup is
>>> less than 100%.
>>>
>>> That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I
>>> never understood why people do purchase anything from them...
>>>

>> Because they have the only search engine that works.
>
>Do they?

Yes.

>And another question -- even if they were so unique why would one start
>searching anything on DigiKey (or whatever be it Mouser/Allied/Arrow/etc?)

Because they give one a good idea what's really available and a "budgetary"
price (normal price ~= DigiKey * .6). I then specify production hardware,
generally, from Arrow or Avnet. Sometimes Future and a few others.

>It is much wiser to start with something like findchips.com or Octopart that
>would search _MULTIPLE_ sites for you and then you could choose which one to
>use... Octopart even has a FireFox plugin that installs alongside with
>Google and friends.

Why? I'm not buying from them anyway. DigiKey availability tells me a lot.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: DC motor opinion/question
Next: RPM Meter