From: Bartt Shelton on
QB 2008 H&B.

I'm seeing something puzzling with my BofA AmEx credit card
transactions.

Typically, I enter transactions into my register, then reconcile them
against what One Step Update picks up.

It works like a champ with every other account I've got.

However, when my BofA AmEx statement closes, the transactions show up
again, en masse. This doesn't happen w/ any other accounts, some of
which are also at BofA.

I don't use the card that much, so I haven't really dug into what's
happening until now. But it's been doing it for a long time.

BofA just tried to tell me it's because I enter the x'actions into the
register ahead of One Step Update instead of just categorizing what
One Step Update downloads, which sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.
They told me to call Quicken Support (I know better than to do that).

Any ideas?
From: Bartt Shelton on
On Mar 29, 7:14 pm, JOhn <m...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Bartt Shelton wrote:
> > QB 2008 H&B.
>
> > I'm seeing something puzzling with my BofA AmEx credit card
> > transactions.
>
> > Typically, I enter transactions into my register, then reconcile them
> > against what One Step Update picks up.
>
> > It works like a champ with every other account I've got.
>
> > However, when my BofA AmEx statement closes, the transactions show up
> > again, en masse.  This doesn't happen w/ any other accounts, some of
> > which are also at BofA.
>
> > I don't use the card that much, so I haven't really dug into what's
> > happening until now.  But it's been doing it for a long time.
>
> > BofA just tried to tell me it's because I enter the x'actions into the
> > register ahead of One Step Update instead of just categorizing what
> > One Step Update downloads, which sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.
> > They told me to call Quicken Support (I know better than to do that).
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> BofA is correct. Just download and categorize from the site.- Hide quoted text -

Do you have any threads or maybe a release note you could point me to?

My instincts are telling me that's not going to solve my problem.
From: Bartt Shelton on
On Mar 29, 7:14 pm, JOhn <m...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Bartt Shelton wrote:
> > QB 2008 H&B.
>
> > I'm seeing something puzzling with my BofA AmEx credit card
> > transactions.
>
> > Typically, I enter transactions into my register, then reconcile them
> > against what One Step Update picks up.
>
> > It works like a champ with every other account I've got.
>
> > However, when my BofA AmEx statement closes, the transactions show up
> > again, en masse.  This doesn't happen w/ any other accounts, some of
> > which are also at BofA.
>
> > I don't use the card that much, so I haven't really dug into what's
> > happening until now.  But it's been doing it for a long time.
>
> > BofA just tried to tell me it's because I enter the x'actions into the
> > register ahead of One Step Update instead of just categorizing what
> > One Step Update downloads, which sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.
> > They told me to call Quicken Support (I know better than to do that).
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> BofA is correct. Just download and categorize from the site.- Hide quoted text -

(potential re-send. I didn't see my reply show up the first time I
sent it > 12 hrs ago)

Do you have a release note or maybe a discussion thread?

My instincts are telling me that using the downloaded transactions as
the basis for my register isn't going to solve my problem.

Thx,
Bartt
From: Bob Wang on
I also have a BofA AmEx dowloading via Express Web Connect.
Transactions are only downloaded when the statement closes.
If I've already manually entered a transaction, I just match what EWC
downloads every month.
If there are transactions I haven't manually entered, I accept the new
downloaded transactions.

I go through the same procedure with my FIA Schwab Visa Signature and
Fidelity AmEx.

From: Bartt on
On Apr 8, 11:05 am, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > A couple of things:
> > 1) What do you use to view the OFXLOG file?  I tried to use NotePad,
> > but that doesn't work.
>
> You can view the OFXlog in Quicken:
>
> Help > Product and Customer Support > OFXlog
>
> But often it is easier to use an editor, or word processor (like Word);
> especially if your financial institution doesn't format the OFX nicely.
> To do that, "Save" the OFXlog while in Quicken ... that will create a
> Windows .txt file of the log, which you can then work with in an editor or
> word processor.
>
> > 2) I generated a QELLOG file & I can see at least one example where a
> > x'action appears in the file twice.  I'm not an expert in analysis of
> > the info, but both appear to have the same FITID.  There are some
> > slight variations in the info in the records, but they're very close.
> > One has a status "new" and the other is "processed"
>
> I haven't worked with the QELLOG to any meaningful degree, just generated
> a couple and took a quick look.
>
> My understanding is that there should not be two exactly equal FITID's for
> the same account with the same fi, in your Quicken data ... not even one
> in your account register and the other in the "Accept transactions ...."
> window.  An FITID that is already in your data should prevent any
> transaction from the same fi for the same account, with that FITID, from
> ever getting as far as the "Accept transactions ...." window.  It may be
> in the downloaded data (OFXlog), but it shouldn't appear in Quicken.
>
> I don't know what the distinction between "new" and "processed" in QELLOG
> represents in Quicken.  If the FITID's (or accounts, or fi's) were
> different, I might think one transaction had already been "Accepted"
> ("processed"), and the other was in the "Accept transactions ..." window
> as a "New" transaction.  But I'd just be guessing.  Do you have an account
> where you have accepted some of the downloaded transactions, but there are
> still others which you have not yet "processed"?
>
> If you note the data in each QELLOG transaction, I would think you could
> locate the two transactions in your Quicken data ... and see what
> relationship they have to each other.
>
> If you were willing to post the data from the two transactions with the
> same FITID, in the Quicken Live Community (you could probably scrub any
> truly sensitive information first), the post might get Intuit's attention..
> You could provide the background of your original post in this discussion,
> explain you ran QELLOG and say you didn't think there should be two
> transactions in your Quicken data from the same account at the same
> financial institution with the same FITID, and ask what the meaning of
> "new" and "processed" is.  Intuit might answer, and you and quite a few
> other people could get some useful info.  Or not.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help- Hide quoted text -

OK. I've got about 1/2 dozen x'actions waiting to be "Accepted" that
have Matched against x'actions that I manually posted.

I've saved my OFXLOG as it exists today.

Do you recommend Accepting the downloaded x'actions & waiting until
the dups show up when my statement closes, or should I leave them in
the pending window?

On another side note, a day or two after I posted here, I posted this
issue in the Quicken Community Q&A, under "Downloading and managing
your accounts and transactions". Is that what you're talking about
when you say "Quicken Live Community"? I wasn't impressed w/
Quicken's Q&A. It assumes that a "reply" means the question has been
"answered" & doesn't lend itself to dialogue. The most a poster can
do is attach some comments, unless I'm missing something...