From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> >replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> >design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>>
>> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
>> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
>> to be doing quite well.
>
>Selling iphones.

And computers and iPods and music.

> European means European style, not built there.

You don't even know what "European style" means. Apparently
you're such an America-hating snob that you think that Americans
aren't even capable of building well-designed products.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Roger Matthews <rfm(a)aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
>battery needed replacement!

No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Chris H on
In message <8c7c4a82-b875-4a49-897b-48eee200f5e6(a)u8g2000prd.googlegroups
..com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes

>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> >replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> >design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>>
>> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
>> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
>> to be doing quite well.
>>

>Selling iphones. European means European style, not built there.

OK so you are admitting that European style is more sophisticated than
US "style".... I am not sure anyone, globally, will disagree with you
as a generalisation. There will be a few exceptions I am sure.

You will note that the majority of Apple computers are used in the
graphics and media industries where style is important. So that you can
not understand it says more about you than the Apple computers.

From: nsbm on
If you are willing to pay Apple prices for the obsolete hardware they
package so prettily in order to run a Linux cloned OS then you will not
tolerate anything negative about Apple, despite the fact that Apple still
does not have a fully functional 64 bit OS software development environment
compared to, uh, Microsoft from several years ago.
If you are a na�ve photographer who has swallowed the Apple Kool aid and
realize that you cannot calibrate ANY Apple monitor correctly without
additional, very expensive obscure third party purchases then you may have
already shot yourself and are dead and cannot read this.
However if you think you are calibrating your Apple monitor in situ
correctly then you are the na�ve soul you are, bless your heart.

From: Pete D on

"Shawn Hirn" <srhi(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article
> <de1b8d61-7a2e-4c41-8c85-bec7e58abc72(a)j35g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>> pro-level DSLRs.
>> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>> them with a one-button push, ideally.
>> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.
>
> Apple did make a digital camera. Apple's QuickTake was one of the first
> consumer-level digital cameras on the market. Apple has never aspired to
> replace the PC. Steve Jobs has said that in public several times. You
> need to update yourself on history before you spout off with clearly
> uninformed information.

I still have one of these in the cupboard.