From: C J Campbell on
On 2009-12-07 22:29:49 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:

> Roger Matthews <rfm(a)aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>> But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
>> battery needed replacement!
>
> No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.

The 2009 MacBook Pros do not. This is a major gripe. You cannot have an
extra battery and Apple charges $179 to replace the battery on a 17"
MacBook Pro.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Neil Harrington on

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2009-12-07 04:05:54 -0800, Shawn Hirn <srhi(a)comcast.net> said:
>
>> In article <4b1c9c09$0$1648$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
>> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>>> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
>>> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
>>> to be doing quite well.
>>
>> Let's see. As of close this past Friday ...
>>
>> APPL = 193.32
>> HP = 36.80
>> DELL = 13.46
>>

>> Hmmm ...
>>
>> Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.
>
> I do NOT!
>
> However, Apple is one of the few stocks I own that has not lost about 50%
> of its value in the last year.

Then you're in the wrong stocks, C J. This has been a very good year for
stocks, though there is some question as to how long that will continue.

My best performing American stock is SXC Health Solutions (SXCI), up 184% on
the year as of yesterday's close. Unfortunately I wasn't holding it all
year, but I did get in early enough to double my money.

Better still (but again, I was late getting into these) are some of the
Chinese stocks. Home Inns & Hotels (HMIN) yesterday was ahead 327% YTD.
China is where most of the growth is probably going to be over the next
decade, if not the next century.

From: nospam on
In article
<2009120811535011272-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.
>
> The 2009 MacBook Pros do not.

yes they do, it just takes a screwdriver to remove it. with an 8+ hour
per charge, there's rarely a need.

> This is a major gripe. You cannot have an
> extra battery and Apple charges $179 to replace the battery on a 17"
> MacBook Pro.

the battery should last 5 years, so that's something that might happen
once in the lifetime of the machine, if that. chances are you'll sell
it before the battery needs replacing.
From: -hh on
"dirk van lut" <gerber_d...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> It is definetly not due to their iMac screens. I was thinking switching from
> PC to Mac for photoprocessing.
> After reading all the negatives in the Apple usegroups on the quality of
> Apple screens (not the computer bit) I decide to stay with a standard PC
> (less $$$) and de hi-quality screen.

There's been two major complaints about iMac screens. The first is
glossy instead of matte; Apple now has an option on the 27" for that
IIRC, plus there's aftermarket films. The second is some less-than-
perfect uniformity of illumination. I've looked at the screenshots
and have been able to see what they're talking about, but who knows
how much contrast they post-process added in Photoshop? I've not seen
it in person to offer a meaningful comment.

OTOH, one might want to take a look at their 24" stand-alone display
and IIRC their newest iMacs, as I believe that both have gotten rave
reviews for better...something or other. I'm not in the market right
now, so I don't recall the detailed technical specifics.

-hh
From: Neil Harrington on

> On 2009-12-07 06:33:59 -0800, John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> said:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 07:05:54 -0500, Shawn Hirn <srhi(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Let's see. As of close this past Friday ...
>>>
>>> APPL = 193.32
>>> HP = 36.80
>>> DELL = 13.46
>>>

>>> Hmmm ...
>>>
>>> Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.
>>
>> The iPod & iPhone are to thank for that.
>
> That, and the fact that the Mac is at the highest market share it has ever
> been. Windows 7 might slow that growth some. Some analysts are saying that
> Apple may go to $500/share. Might be time to sell.

There is something to that. I wish I'd sold FUQI when I was ahead about
60% -- now I'm back to a little less than even. As the old saying has it:
"Bulls make money and bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered." On the
other hand, this is what makes the stock market fun.