From: RichA on
Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
pro-level DSLRs.
Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
them with a one-button push, ideally.
Which is why pro cameras will stay large.
From: Neil Harrington on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.

Not necessarily "European." This undoubtedly goes back to Steve Jobs's
marketing philosophy from the very beginning. When he and Steve Wozniak (who
did virtually all the actual engineering) designed the original Apple II, it
had only a 52-key keyboard and no shift key, because Jobs wanted to keep it
simple and non-threatening to ordinary, non-computer-savvy consumers.
Consequently when word processing software was developed for it it was more
or less crippled, unless users were satisfied to write in all caps. There
were hardware modifications to correct this, but until 1983 when the Apple
IIe came out with a much improved keyboard (I'm ignoring the Apple III
because it was a commercial flop), that was the situation.

And Jobs insisted on convection cooling only, because he thought ordinary
consumers would be put off by the sound of a fan -- too "machine-like," you
see. Many (probably most) buyers on their own added a Kensington system fan
made for the Apple II case. Also Jobs wanted only two expansion slots, but
Wozniak overruled him on that dopey idea and gave it seven.

From: corks on
ahem but apple pc's are made of metal ????

From: Roger Matthews on
But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
battery needed replacement!

From: John McWilliams on
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article
> <de1b8d61-7a2e-4c41-8c85-bec7e58abc72(a)j35g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>> pro-level DSLRs.
>> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>> them with a one-button push, ideally.
>> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.
>
> Apple did make a digital camera. Apple's QuickTake was one of the first
> consumer-level digital cameras on the market. Apple has never aspired to
> replace the PC. Steve Jobs has said that in public several times. You
> need to update yourself on history before you spout off with clearly
> uninformed information.

That won't be happening, as Rich likes to post.... a lot.

Apple still "makes" a digital camera- they're embedded in all laptops
and iPhones.

--
John McWilliams