From: Christopher Muto on
Bob Levine wrote:
> "Tom Scales" <tjscales(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The beep codes should be in the manual for the specific model.
>>
>> Since you didn't mention the model, I googled a bit. Appears to be a
>> memory problem.

the beep codes for the studio 540 are not listed in any of the online
manuals for that system. but typically the beep code of 1 long, 2 short
is an indication of a video card problem. reading between the lines, it
sounds like you are able to get video in safe mode which suggests that
the video card is not completely dead. if the unit has an add on card
(as opposed to an integrated video card) i would suggest trying to
remove and reinstall the video card. and if under warranty, by all
means call dell.
From: RnR on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:50:09 -0600, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:30:08 -0500, "Bob Levine" <invalid(a)invalid.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm having quite the time finding a key to beep codes for a Studio Desktop.
>>I have a customer having some issues with the video on this machine. It
>>gives one beep followed by a pause and then two quick beeps.
>>
>>Anyone know where I can find those codes?
>>
>>Bob
>

>Bob, first I don't know but see if this helps any....
>http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19239433/19388979.aspx
>
>This forum talks of the same problem. Note the long post dated Dec.
>14th.

FWIW, this is about the Dell 540 Studio.
From: RnR on
wrote:

>I'm having quite the time finding a key to beep codes for a Studio Desktop.
>I have a customer having some issues with the video on this machine. It
>gives one beep followed by a pause and then two quick beeps.
>
>Anyone know where I can find those codes?
>
>Bob

Here's dell's 540 docs.....
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/STD540/en/index.htm

ps-- might want to look at my previous post because I think it will
help now.
From: Bob Levine on

"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> the beep codes for the studio 540 are not listed in any of the online
> manuals for that system. but typically the beep code of 1 long, 2 short
> is an indication of a video card problem. reading between the lines, it
> sounds like you are able to get video in safe mode which suggests that the
> video card is not completely dead. if the unit has an add on card (as
> opposed to an integrated video card) i would suggest trying to remove and
> reinstall the video card. and if under warranty, by all means call dell.

Yeah...I pulled the card out figuring maybe reseating it would help, but no
go. As you say, it's not totally dead, but it's sure as hell on life
support.

I'm pretty sure Dell can just overnight them a card and if they need me to,
I'll pop over and install it for them.

Bob

From: Bob Levine on
"Bob Levine" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> I'm having quite the time finding a key to beep codes for a Studio
> Desktop. I have a customer having some issues with the video on this
> machine. It gives one beep followed by a pause and then two quick beeps.
>
> Anyone know where I can find those codes?
>
> Bob

Just wanted thank everyone for their input. Customer called Dell and they
came to the same conclusion that I did...bad video card.

That will be confirmed later today, hopefully since someone is supposed to
come their place to install a new one.

Bob

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4