From: polymod on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message

> Does it have a cartridge slot?
Yes.

How 'bout midi? ;)
But of course!

>Yamaha had already
> misinterpreted what midi mono mode was supposed to be by then I suppose.
Yea, sumfin like that! I remember trying for days but nadda.
I still have MidiOx somewhere. Maybe if I get bored I'll try it again ;)

Poly

From: polymod on

> In news:8%zSg.52$gG3.32(a)newsfe11.lga the killer robot "polymod"
> <polymod(a)optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> >> Yamaha had already misinterpreted what midi mono mode was supposed to
be
> >> by then I suppose.
>
> > Yea, sumfin like that! I remember trying for days but nadda.
> > I still have MidiOx somewhere. Maybe if I get bored I'll try it again ;)
>
> I wouldn't mess with it. Too much risk of getting something screwed up.

I like that method of thinking the best :)

Poly

From: Ricky Hunt on
FM7 is good. There was a fantastic freeware one that got taken off the
market that was indistinguishable to my ears from the DX7. I use it. I also
used Sytrus which imports DX7 sysex but doesn't always play them the exact
same as a real DX would but it a bunch of extra stuff that can make it sound
much warmer and you would never guess it as an FM: http://www.sytrus.com/

From: Mike Fisher on
"Glennbo" wrote

> I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a demo version to make sure the
> patches I want to recover will playback as I remember tham on real DX7
> hardware.

One other feature that I don't think has been mentioned is that FM7
is -stereo-. The DX7 was not. All of the patches that come with FM7 have
panning and other effects programmed in. When you load a DX7 *.syx patch
into FM7, it remains mono, but has the potential to be modified.

--

Mike Fisher
www.soundclick.com/mikefisher

From: Mike Fisher on
"Glennbo" wrote...

> Well, I got the demo version of the FM7 and it won't let me try out my
> sysex files sue to demo limitations. Wahhh!

That stinks.

> But the patches it comes
> with for demo purposes sound like a DX7, and I see Musician's Friend is
> got a rock bottom price of $99 for it, so I may have to take the plunge.

Yep, due to FM8 coming out.

> I hear it's copy protection is the old insert the CD on occasion, which
> I can live with.

It used to be that way with FM7 and B4, but updates to the program did away
with the CD check. There is a hole in the install CD which prevents copying
the actual disc though.

--

Mike Fisher
www.soundclick.com/mikefisher