From: brian w edginton on
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:29:24 +1000, Wayne <someone(a)someisp.com> wrote:

>DalienX wrote:
>> I'm looking into this myself, one thing i have noticed is it claims to
>> be an unmetered site (for bigpond customers only of course) which means
>> the downloads wont count to the monthly download limit.
>>

>Telstra missing an op to scam its users, wow someone in management
>really dropped the ball on this one.

There will be a charge, though. To a credit card or added to your
monthly BigPond account.
I believe you will buy via a "shopping basket" ....according to an IT
bloke interviewed on ABC Radio, yesterday.

Don't blame me if he screwed it up.

-------------------------------------

If this was a perfect world, we, probably, wouldn't
be in it.
From: Fred on
brian w edginton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:29:24 +1000, Wayne <someone(a)someisp.com> wrote:
>
>> DalienX wrote:
>>> I'm looking into this myself, one thing i have noticed is it claims
>>> to be an unmetered site (for bigpond customers only of course)
>>> which means the downloads wont count to the monthly download limit.
>>>

>> Telstra missing an op to scam its users, wow someone in management
>> really dropped the ball on this one.
>

> There will be a charge, though. To a credit card or added to your
> monthly BigPond account.
> I believe you will buy via a "shopping basket" ....according to an IT
> bloke interviewed on ABC Radio, yesterday.
>
> Don't blame me if he screwed it up.

Yes. you have to download software called the "Bigpond Media Manager", that
knows about Digital Rights Management.
It manages your downloads and plays the files.
I was going to check it out, just out of curiosity, using one of the free
downloads (Movie Trailer), but baulked when I found out you need a later
version of .Net Framework than I am running.
BTW credit card required, unmetered site for Bigpond customers.
They are even offering a premium cable broadband service, which ups the
download speed limit on the supposedly "uncapped" download speeds already
offered. Extra $10.00 a month.

From: DalienX on
Fred wrote:

> brian w edginton wrote:
> >On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:29:24 +1000, Wayne <someone(a)someisp.com>
> wrote:

> > > Telstra missing an op to scam its users, wow someone in management
> > > really dropped the ball on this one.
> >

> > There will be a charge, though. To a credit card or added to your
> > monthly BigPond account.
> > I believe you will buy via a "shopping basket" ....according to an
> > IT bloke interviewed on ABC Radio, yesterday.
> >
> > Don't blame me if he screwed it up.
> >

> Yes. you have to download software called the "Bigpond Media
> Manager", that knows about Digital Rights Management. It manages
> your downloads and plays the files. I was going to check it out,
> just out of curiosity, using one of the free downloads (Movie
> Trailer), but baulked when I found out you need a later version of
> .Net Framework than I am running. BTW credit card required,
> unmetered site for Bigpond customers. They are even offering a
> premium cable broadband service, which ups the download speed limit
> on the supposedly "uncapped" download speeds already offered. Extra
> $10.00 a month.

think ill stick to torrents.
If i want to rent a dvd there are about 4 video stores within 5 minutes
drive.
From: Fred on
DalienX wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>
>> brian w edginton wrote:

>>> There will be a charge, though. To a credit card or added to your
>>> monthly BigPond account.
>>> I believe you will buy via a "shopping basket" ....according to an
>>> IT bloke interviewed on ABC Radio, yesterday.
>>>
>>> Don't blame me if he screwed it up.
>>>

>> Yes. you have to download software called the "Bigpond Media
>> Manager", that knows about Digital Rights Management. It manages
>> your downloads and plays the files. I was going to check it out,
>> just out of curiosity, using one of the free downloads (Movie
>> Trailer), but baulked when I found out you need a later version of
>> .Net Framework than I am running. BTW credit card required,
>> unmetered site for Bigpond customers. They are even offering a
>> premium cable broadband service, which ups the download speed limit
>> on the supposedly "uncapped" download speeds already offered. Extra
>> $10.00 a month.
>
> think ill stick to torrents.

May as well, while they last. Although I am sure a lot of people will use
the Bigpond service.

> If i want to rent a dvd there are about 4 video stores within 5
> minutes drive.

What about $5.95 for Bewitched?
http://downloads.bigpondmovies.com/displayItem.do?id=mi260092
They should pay *me* to watch that rubbish.

From: Jason on
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:12:44 +1030, "Fred" <bluser(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> think ill stick to torrents.
>
>May as well, while they last. Although I am sure a lot of people will use
>the Bigpond service.

Why would anyone use the Bigpond service ??

1) Its expensive ($5.95 overnight for recent movies)

2) It takes time downloading them. I can't get cable in my area, so
I have a 512k ADSL line, and it will apparently take 4-5 hours to
download the movie.

3) You can only play the movie on your computer using the "BigPond
Media Manager", not on your super dooper surround sound TV system.
Not everyone has their computer hooked up to their TV in the living
room.

Why not just hire the DVD for a cheaper price, and get better picture
and sound quality, watch it in the comfort of your living area, and
also rip it to your heart's desire if you are so inclined ??
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Next: Canon printer waste ink message