From: pengulin on
CMOS battery could be fairly easily accessable by removing the keyboard,
prividing this particular model makes it easy to get to the motherboard by
such means.

From: Tom Scales on
And since the password is stored in EEPROM, he'd have to leave it out, well,
forever, since the computer isn't going to work.

Tom

From: Jupiter Jones on
That works with desktops.
Rarely if ever is this possible with a laptop.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

From: Dennis on

-
-
:

-
-
:

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:40:06 GMT

My guess is, the reason the pawn shop sold you a laptop with the password
set is because it was probably stolen. There is a way of removing the
password, but no one here is going to tell you how to do that. In the end
you may find that not only is the BIOS password set, but also the hard
drive's (I set both). I also use locating software should anyone steal my
laptop and then try to connect to the Internet. If the hard drive is using
NTFS structure and has the password set, you will no choice but to replace
it and install a new operating system. Not such a great buy now, is it?

From: ben_myers_spam_me_not @ on
Actually, Pettar Nordahl-Hagen's free password cracker works quite well, but
only on NTFS file systems. It won't do squat for the motherboard password. I
suppose the original poster could always replace the motherboard. What good is
a hard drive without the computer? Well, it has some value, but not nearly as
much as an entire working notebook computer... Ben Myers