From: MJMIII on
I have a 3 y/o Inspiron 1705. I think I'll update the BIOS. I wouldn't
mind a new setup. :-)

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: WSZsr on
Don't listen to MJMII's BS. Just call Dell tech support. They will have to
replace the motherboard.

From: RnR on
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:32:25 -0500, "Scrumbs" <joelee(a)sisterisles.kn>
wrote:

>I was updating my XPS 435T\9000 with bios A15 when about 16% into the update
>it stalled. I waited what I considered a long time, after about 40 minutes
>I decided to do a forced shutdown. When I tried to boot the processor starts
>but nothing appears on the monitor. Can someone provide suggestions as to
>how I can recover from this problem.
>
>Thanks

That's the reason I don't like to flash often. When I do, I worry if
I will make my system toast.

I'm not too knowledgeable on BIOS techniques but you might want to
read and try this....
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/2/
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/3/

And please post what works for you for my benefit and others.
Good Luck.
From: MJMIII on
Looks like my reply hit home.

From: Tom Lake on
> the a15 update released on 3/2/2010 is so new that it is possible that
> it is defective. call dell and see what they say. this wouldn't be the
> first time that dell released a defective bios update. the only other
> possible solution would be to set the machine into production mode and
> load a new bios, but dell doesn't make the necessary software publicly
> available. if the bios update is defective then hopefully they will
> replace your system board and pull the defective bios from their
> download page.

It worked fine for me. The only change from A14 is that it now supports
the new 6-core Intel processors coming out in the next month or two.
If you have no plans to replace your CPU, then you don't need this BIOS.

Tom L