From: Blair Sutton on
Hello Damian,

Is the main goal to get a BOM out of SW?
If so, I would look at this AssemblyBOM macro on Lenny's site

With any SW asm open, Run Macro.
A window pops up, you select BOM columns (revision,
configurations)...and then choose format to export.

http://www.lennyworks.com/solidworks/default.asp?ID=20

Macro: AssemblyBOM

-Blair

BTW, Lenny just did a real useful presentation on Macro's at our local
Kansas City SWUG meeting. Thanks Lenny.

From: Dames on
On Jul 26, 5:44 am, Blair Sutton <blair.sut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Damian,
>
> Is the main goal to get a BOM out of SW?
> If so, I would look at this AssemblyBOM macro on Lenny's site
>
> With any SW asm open, Run Macro.
> A window pops up, you select BOM columns (revision,
> configurations)...and then choose format to export.
>
> http://www.lennyworks.com/solidworks/default.asp?ID=20
>
> Macro: AssemblyBOM
>
> -Blair
>
> BTW, Lenny just did a real useful presentation on Macro's at our local
> Kansas City SWUG meeting. Thanks Lenny.

Thanks Bliar.
I have been using Lenny's macro for a while now. But i need all this
exporting to happen in the background from a drawing when i use
another macro to print our drawings. At present i use a macro that
prints out our drawing a pdf, a tiff and a DXF of our parts (with a
rev attached to the file name.) I may make a video of what i am
looking for and upload to a site so people can get an idea of what we
do and of what we want.
Cheers
Damian

From: Dames on
On Jul 26, 10:01 am, Dames <damian.gilles...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:44 am, Blair Sutton <blair.sut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello Damian,
>
> > Is the main goal to get a BOM out of SW?
> > If so, I would look at this AssemblyBOM macro on Lenny's site
>
> > With any SW asm open, Run Macro.
> > A window pops up, you select BOM columns (revision,
> > configurations)...and then choose format to export.
>
> >http://www.lennyworks.com/solidworks/default.asp?ID=20
>
> > Macro: AssemblyBOM
>
> > -Blair
>
> > BTW, Lenny just did a real useful presentation on Macro's at our local
> > Kansas City SWUG meeting. Thanks Lenny.
>
> Thanks Bliar.
> I have been using Lenny's macro for a while now. But i need all this
> exporting to happen in the background from a drawing when i use
> another macro to print our drawings. At present i use a macro that
> prints out our drawing a pdf, a tiff and a DXF of our parts (with a
> rev attached to the file name.) I may make a video of what i am
> looking for and upload to a site so people can get an idea of what we
> do and of what we want.
> Cheers
> Damian- Hide quoted text -

Here is a video of what i am trying to do. Keep in mind that i already
have a bom in the drawing. And that i want to add a new Bom, write out
the the file then delete the bom that i have just put in and keep the
exsisting bom.
Cheers Damian
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5582739545384811407

From: Bill Briggs on
>From a SolidWorks standpoint, this is not difficult. You will need to
loop through each sheet on the drawing then if the assumption can be
made that all views are the same then you can grab the first view and
use the insert bill of material function where you can specify a BOM
template containing the properties you desire. (If the assumption
cannot be made than you will have to think about how to recognize the
correct view, perhaps the view that already has the BOM connected to
it.) Next, when you insert the BOM you get the pointer to the BOM
Object and from there you can get access to the rows and columns where
you can then walk through the rows and columns generating you xml
information.

You need to explain to me how much help you need. Do you have only
the solidworks macro editor or do you have vb.net? Do you know how to
create an xml file using VB? Do you need sample code to loop through
the drawing sheets?

Also, you say this is urgent. Am I too late to help? Is this a short
term thing or do you need this program for use down the road also?
Just trying to find out how much time we should spend on this.

From: Dames on
On Jul 27, 5:35 am, Bill Briggs <bbri...(a)gpv.com> wrote:
> >From a SolidWorks standpoint, this is not difficult. You will need to
>
> loop through each sheet on the drawing then if the assumption can be
> made that all views are the same then you can grab the first view and
> use the insert bill of material function where you can specify a BOM
> template containing the properties you desire. (If the assumption
> cannot be made than you will have to think about how to recognize the
> correct view, perhaps the view that already has the BOM connected to
> it.) Next, when you insert the BOM you get the pointer to the BOM
> Object and from there you can get access to the rows and columns where
> you can then walk through the rows and columns generating you xml
> information.
>
> You need to explain to me how much help you need. Do you have only
> the solidworks macro editor or do you have vb.net? Do you know how to
> create an xml file using VB? Do you need sample code to loop through
> the drawing sheets?
>
> Also, you say this is urgent. Am I too late to help? Is this a short
> term thing or do you need this program for use down the road also?
> Just trying to find out how much time we should spend on this.
Firstly its not to late, so help would be great.
1.The assumptions that you are talking about in the first paragraph
are valid. My dealt view is in most cases is the one which has the BOM
is attached. If this is not the case then I/we would rectify these as
needed.
2. How much help do I need? Well, I have a limited understanding of
code and with time (not much of that these days) I can usually fudge
my way through, but I would like if someone could step me through.
This has been the only way I have learnt in the past.
3. I only have the macro editor but I can download the VB.net if this
would be the better way to go. I would much prefer to start learning
VB.net as I could then use these skills in other areas within my job.

Thank Bill for your time and I hope to here back from you soon.
Cheers
Damian