From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-02-28 8:37 p.m., Smirnoff wrote:

> Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.
>
> You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
> posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system
> and are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.
>
> Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?

Unlikely. More likely the users reporting that system restore didn't work
either (a) used a restore point after the update was installed; or (b) did
successfully remove the update, but didn't manage to stop it from being
installed again. I'm not entirely certain how automatic updates interacts with
system restore, but it's possible (depending on various factors) that the update
would be reinstalled again almost straight away.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: Smirnoff on

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry(a)scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> On 2010-02-28 8:37 p.m., Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.
>>
>> You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
>> posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system
>> and are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.
>>
>> Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?
>
> Unlikely. More likely the users reporting that system restore didn't work
> either (a) used a restore point after the update was installed; or (b) did
> successfully remove the update, but didn't manage to stop it from being
> installed again. I'm not entirely certain how automatic updates interacts
> with system restore, but it's possible (depending on various factors) that
> the update would be reinstalled again almost straight away.
>
> Harry.

I too am not sure how AU works with SR. All I'm trying to establish is
whether SR (to a pre-update checkpoint) IS an option, i.e. will it remove
the update? There are so many conflicting posts.

(a) I think most users would know to use a pre-update checkpoint.

(b) Does the update immediately reinstall (because Auto Update settings have
not been altered), or is it not removed by SR in the first place?

It may be that some users think they have removed it and they haven't. Some
use Firefox as their default browser and apparently don't get the "Choice"
window. Others suggest the only way to stop it running is with a registry
hack.

No doubt it will become clear eventually.

From: Ed O'Brien on
Can't say, I'm afraid. It took it down on my Vista and it now shows up as
ready to install. As I installed it late, I was able to establish the exact
time of day it was installed so chose the SR immediately in front of it.

From: Ed O'Brien on
I agree. This is almost certainly how it works... Being among a lot of
updates, and wanting to retain the essential ones, picking the right SR is
essential.

From: Ed O'Brien on
Thanks for this, MowGreen. I had heard about this option but never looked
deeply for it as it is not that obvious to the user. It's not quite as you
describe for my OS, but you have made me go back and look a bit deeper. It
is easy after all - once you know how. Opening WU, select the update/s and
in the next window, right click the update/s you don't want and select "Hide
Update".

Knowledge I will keep for the rest of my life thanks to you.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Error Code: 0x80246002
Next: Windows Update error 80070005