From: Dr_No on
My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on my
desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed updates,
there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there anything else to
show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed as well as IE 8. I
was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then I have successfully
installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can get it to register
properly?

From: Smirnoff on

"Dr_No" <Dr_No(a)totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on
> my desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed
> updates, there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there
> anything else to show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed
> as well as IE 8. I was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then I
> have successfully installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can get it
> to register properly?

Perhaps you need to restart your desktop.

I think the option only appears on restart/boot up.

From: Dr_No on
I found browserchoice.exe in the windows folder. A put a shortcut on the
desktop, clicked on it, and that brought up the choice page. As I don't need
it or the page, I deleted the shortcut and hey presto it's gone and they
stayed gone after reboot....it's all experience!

From: Smirnoff on
Interesting.....

Some people who had the update installed automatically and regretted it,
found they could not uninstall it and even using system restore to a
previous checkpoint didn't remove it. In fact some posters are advising a
registry hack to stop it running.

I can only think that in your case the update failed to install correctly in
the first place.

I opted not to install it so cannot really comment further.

From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"Dr_No" <Dr_No(a)totalise.co.uk> schrieb:

> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on my
> desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed updates,
> there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there anything else to
> show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed as well as IE 8.

As long as Fx (Firefox) or any other browser than IE is set as your
standard browser, that's expected what to happen (AFAIK).

Bye,
Freudi