From: Knowledge on
I'm getting buffer overflows everytime I start Eudora now. It happened
intermittently before, but now it won't run at all. It boots up and
before it downloads anything I get the message.

When I click "cancel" it refuses to press on as it used to do. It just
keeps popping the message up at me until I click "quit" :-(

I wonder if this has anything to do with reducing my threading down to
"2" instead of the eight I had this time last week?
From: Katrina Knight on
Knowledge <erudite(a)charter.net> wrote:
> I'm getting buffer overflows everytime I start Eudora now. It happened
> intermittently before, but now it won't run at all. It boots up and
> before it downloads anything I get the message.

Which version are you using? Newer versions are better able to deal with
problems of that type.

> When I click "cancel" it refuses to press on as it used to do. It just
> keeps popping the message up at me until I click "quit" :-(

What exactly does the message you get say and what choices does it give
you? "Cancel" may not be the choice you want to make if there's any other
choice.

The common reasons for buffer overflows are trying to process or display a
defective message. I'd recommend taking a look at what is in the spool
subdirectory of your data directory. (If you have more than one
personality, you'll need to look in each personality's subdirectory within
"spool".) Are there any rcv files there? If so, then chances are high that
you received a message that can't be processed. When you start Eudora, it
will try to process any unprocessed spool files that it finds, so if there
is a bad one, the same thing will keep happening every time you start it.
If there is only one rcv file there, it is easy to figure out which one is
the problem. If there are multiple files, but only for a single
personality, it is still fairly easy - sort them by date and the oldest
one should be the problem. If there are rcv files for multiple
personalities, the problem one could be the oldest one for any one
personality. You can look at the contents of the files using a text
viewer/editor. If the one that appears to be the cause of the problem is
undesirable, which it probably is, just delete the file. If it is a
message that you want to keep, try moving it or renaming it to not have an
rcv extension and see if Eudora works then.

> I wonder if this has anything to do with reducing my threading down to
> "2" instead of the eight I had this time last week?

That would be extremely unlikely, since all that does is prevent Eudora
from doing more than 2 sending/receiving tasks at one time.

--
Katrina

From: Knowledge on
Thank you ancora Regina Katrina for your super sound advice.

I saw a post last night where someone said that they found 6.2.3 to be
the best of all the Eudora versions for him.

So I went down to 6.2.5 and I didn't get a buffer overflow message, or
have the time out problem I was having with 7.1.

The program just disapeeared on startup. It would go to the bottom of
the screen and then disappear.

Finally it loaded once and acted like it wanted to download stuff,
after clicking cancel many times and then stop...it finally stopped
with the indicator saying 112 messages to download/sort.

Then afer I clicked "stop" it momentarily stopped and then quickly
picked up and downloaded the 112 messages on one account and
downloaded the rest as well.

I have had absolutely no problems with 6.2.5

I also noticed just now that I had over fifteen thousand message in my
various mailboxes.

I have cleared out about ten thousand so far mostly messages from the
over 100 Yahoo groups to which I belong.

So now I'm going to reload 7.0 and see what happens now that I have
removed so many emails.

If it works OK, then I will load 7.1

If they bomb out, I'm going to throw them all out and use the web
email program www.charter.com :-) that comes with my ISP.

If I keep getting the "account timeout" message, I will likely drop
down to 6.2.5.

It ran at the thread setting of "10" with no hitches, glitches, or
britches.

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now though.

I just hope it is not an Amtrak train coming at me now that I'm 2/3rds
of the way through.

From: Knowledge on
I loaded 7.0 and it went right back to timing out on two of the eight
accounts that I have. I can't see, or feel any noticeable differences
between them other than 6.2.5 works much better?

I may very well return to 6.2.5 and call it a day. It is definitely
much more error free than 7.0, or 7.1 on my Dell XPS T-600 384MB ram

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:04:17 -0600, Knowledge wrote:

> I loaded 7.0 and it went right back to timing out on two of the eight
> accounts that I have. I can't see, or feel any noticeable differences
> between them other than 6.2.5 works much better?
>
> I may very well return to 6.2.5 and call it a day. It is definitely
> much more error free than 7.0, or 7.1 on my Dell XPS T-600 384MB ram

Is it possible that OS and software upgrades may now be taxing
CPU and memory, perhaps causing "page thrashing"?

If that's the case, adding RAM may help give new energy
to various newer OS and applications
(I was having a bad time with my now "slow" system,
until I maxed it out to its meager limit of 512MB,
which is still near the lower edge for some new software
that assumes you will already have next year's new hi-power system
by the time you install their bloated stuff :)

Dell Dimension XPS T600 PCs (reviewed 29 October 1999)
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=82

-[ ]-
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5