From: Brian Ketterling on
"Patrick de Zeester" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick Balkins wrote:
>> "Mangelore" <fotios(a)commodore128.org> wrote in message
>>> While I agree with you that CGA was RGBI, these converters to not
>>> process the "I" signal. The only have inputs for R,G,B,V,H,GND.
>>>
>> The problem is they used one bit DACs for the R,G, and B.
>
> Really?
>
> Those converters "Mangelore" is talking about take most likely analog
> RGB, with analog RGB there is no point in having an "intensity" input.

They're supposed to be CGA to VGA converters (see Christian Lott's post
earlier in the thread), so they should take digital RGBI. I must have
missed it on the website, though -- I didn't see anything about how many
colors they output, or what kind of DACs they use.

Brian

From: Mangelore on
Good news. Got it working. All 16 colours are now displayed in a perfect
manner on my VGA screen! The solution was so simple it's laughable... My
initial modification interfaced the Intensity signal directly into the
RGB analog inputs of the surface mounted Analog Devices chip found on
the ACV-011 board. There were a number of resistors and capacitors
between the RGB TTL inputs and the analog inputs of the AD chip. While
the 16 colours were all on the screen, the brightness was bleeding too
much. So, I then interfaced the Intensity signal just after the first
analog conversion stage with a few resistors and it worked like a charm.

Cheers
Fotios

From: Mangelore on
Hi Brian,

They use an Analog Devices ad9985 chip.

Cheers
Fotios

From: Rick Balkins on
Ok, I guess just a electronical matter and interference. Basically, in
theory, my idea of tieing the Intensity to the R,G & B lines worked but have
to do it after the first stage. Something funky but it works.

Ok, this chip was designed for analog RGB input and basically scan doubling.
Not digital. So, you would naturally convert the intensity to analog then
tie it into the R,G, & B lines after the R,G & B had been converted to
analog. Otherwise, you need to do it differently.

The chip was designed for capturing ANALOG RGB and hooking them to digital
flatpanel. In effect, the converter is doing the opposite. Converting analog
RGB to a digital LCD panel.

So what you should have done - is have three 2-Bit DACs (like used inside
the DAC board in the 1902A), Basically each DAC has two digital inputs and 1
analog output. So, you would be tieing the Intensity line to the high-bit of
each of the DACs for example and tie the Digital Red, Green & Blue lines
from the CGA / VDC video output. Then convert to analog. You don't want to
be mixing a digital intensity signal into an analog red, green or blue. Kind
of gets messy. I think, that is what you had sort of an issue with. Same
thing with Analog Intensity into digital inputs of the DACs. Gets messy as
the Analog Intensity is not clean. In this case your resistor/capacitor
circuit that makes each DAC circuit. You don't want to place an analog
signal into a digital input.

Whatever the case is, you would then have a clean conversion. In your case,
you home-brewed your DAC circuit with resistors and capacitors, ect. With
basically two digital inputs (bits-IN) and one analog out put. Basically
three circuits. But you made a 4th "DAC" with the intensity and put it into
a digital inputs of each of your "Red-DAC","Gree-DAC" and "Blue-DAC"
circuits. Thus, getting a messy input. This is my theory on what you wrote.

I'm probably scaring myself, now.

From: Mangelore on
Yes, you're correct!... but also scaring me now :)

Rick Balkins wrote:
> In your case,
> you home-brewed your DAC circuit with resistors and capacitors, ect. With
> basically two digital inputs (bits-IN) and one analog out put. Basically
> three circuits. But you made a 4th "DAC" with the intensity and put it into
> a digital inputs of each of your "Red-DAC","Gree-DAC" and "Blue-DAC"
> circuits. Thus, getting a messy input. This is my theory on what you wrote.
>
> I'm probably scaring myself, now.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 newbie
Next: Commodore 128D disk drive problems