From: a7yvm109gf5d1 on
On Mar 26, 11:57 pm, Dopple <c...(a)comp.sys.cbm> wrote:
> Could always jump into this like I jumped into making a batch of EZ232 and
> Link232 interfaces. I bought enough parts in quantity, and am selling them for
> $20 as a kit, and $30 assembled.
>
> Of course, you're looking at a lot more capital for a batch of these converters...
>
> BTW, I did buy one of the RGB to VGA converters fromwww.converters.tv.
>
> In a word: Sux0r.
>
> Problem is, they SAY it can do RGBI, but it can't. So, now I have to build a
> RGBI to RGBA converter to feed to this thing.

Hah. People say a lot of things about RGBI don't they?

From: Rick Balkins on
Yes, the solution is pretty simple and intensity must ultimately be attached
to the R,G and B lines.

A quicky RGBI to RGBA converter is getting 3 DACs suitable for video. You
send the syncs in for clocking. The DACs should be 2 bits resolution each.
Intensity would be tied to each. EGA just took three seperate Intensity
lines for each of the R,G and B lines. Getting you the 64 colors.

Of course, after you get 15 KHz RGBA. The next step is scan doubling. Then
you should have it viewable on VGA monitors.

From: MagerValp on

a> It'll probably look like this, at best:
a> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/CGA_CompVsRGB_Text.png

Yeah, RGBI to composite is a no-go. I haven't really followed the
discussion, but isn't what we want RGBI to VGA? That can be done with
(relatively) simple scandoubling.

a> Now if only someone could tell me why I can't get the LUT to work
a> on my project... My VGA output is purple, but it's sharp! (More or
a> less!)

a> http://dfpresource.org/VGA_noLUT.jpg

That looks exactly like the DTV prototype that Jeri sent me for PAL
testing. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it was
related to the colour carrier inversion. You're not working with PAL
though, are you?

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Joseph Fenn on
Which brings us all back to the start. CBM=VGA never came to
pass by Alan Bairstow of U.K. who started the whole idea of
useing these new LCD monitors for C128/C64s. He did suceed
with the PAL version somehow but never with the NTSC they were
trying to make work. Only the C128 was used never heard much
feedback on the C64 Useage with LCD's.
Joe

* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *

From: Rick Balkins on

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn(a)lava.net> wrote in message
> Which brings us all back to the start. CBM=VGA never came to
> pass by Alan Bairstow of U.K. who started the whole idea of
> useing these new LCD monitors for C128/C64s. He did suceed
> with the PAL version somehow but never with the NTSC they were
> trying to make work. Only the C128 was used never heard much
> feedback on the C64 Useage with LCD's.

Joe,

Enough with this NTSC/PAL stuff. VDC is NEITHER NTSC or PAL. It is simply
its own video architecture format. Basically, the VDC output is really just
a digital output bus. It isn't much different then the Serial bus except
that it is output only AND that it is a 4 bit bus and there is a couple of
clock pins.

Then the video hardware device (aka the monitor) then takes the 4 bits and
converts it to analog R,G and B. The 4 digital bits are labeled,
R(Red),G(Green),B(Blue) & I(Intensity).

The monitor has a DAC board inside consisting of THREE 2-bit DACs. You might
think that it will do 64 colors assuming that there is 6-Bits of DAC
resolution (2Bit DAC+2Bit DAC+2Bit DAC = 6-BIT). You would only be HALF
right.
The problem is that the Intensity line (the 4th bit of the digital bits
coming in) is tied to the high bit of all three DACs digital input.
Ultimately the output becomes 3 analog signals of 2 states. If there was two
more bits, then they could be intensity 2 and three or you can have the
Intensity lines labeled Intensity-Red, Intensity-Green and Intensity-Blue.
Then you would tie only one of the Intensity lines to each of the DACs. Each
DAC would have seperate Intensity lines. Voila, you now got primitive EGA.
If you want to go far enough, add 8-Bits from say the User Port + the one
Intensity line built in, you now will have 9 Intensity Lines. 8 coming from
the User Port. (You'll have some limits but that is another issue.) You can
then add upgrade the DACs to 4 Bit DACs and add put 3 of the 9 "Intensity"
lines + the digital "red" line to the digital input for DAC-"Red". The next
3 Intensity lines plus the digital "green" line to the DAC-"Green" and the
last 3 Intensity lines plue the digital "blue" line to DAC-"Blue". (Here, I
label the 3 Four-Bit DACs)

Then they'll produce 3 analog signals with 16 levels of intensities. The CRT
itself accepts three analog inputs for each of the three raster guns that
produce red,green and blue raster beams which will mix by close proximity of
the beams and that they come together to a point. Thus, giving you the
colors you see. I over simplied the overall process of and omitted how the
Hsync and Vsync lines comes into play.

However, there are possible snags with the approach. Possible need of a
buffer for the User Port input which will hold the bits as needed. You won't
be making any changes in the bit values on the User Port sourced "Intensity"
bits as the 1 intensity bit. However, luckily the Intensity bit and the
R,G,B bits are changed and sent based on char clock rate and not dot clock.
As you coud tell, the R,G,B,I lines are modified at 1 or 2 Mhz and buffered.
I believe, you could only change the colors at char clock rate. That is
video chip limits.

Anyway, the RGBI is digital and has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC.

The issue with C=VGA is TOTALLY not related. The issue is likely Composite
video to RGB/RGBI conversion. The biggest issue was likely with decoding an
NTSC video signal from the NTSC C64's VIC-II chip and making a clean analog
RGB signal.

A process may entail the digitizing of the NTSC signal into digital RGB bits
at 24 Bit resolution. This is a decode analog color info and converting them
to digital RGB at 24 Bit digital RGB. (Note: Intensity is not there as it is
really meaningless - it is really just luminances of R,G and B anyway)

Then it is converted to analog RGB and operating on a 31 Khz HSync -
regardless of 50Hz or 60 Hz power cycle rate (VSync).

NTSC or PAL is meaningless on the RGB side of things. The trouble was likely
in converting & extracting the color info and converting them into RGB. PAL
television video was probably easier to extract. Converting them into RGB.
Typically involving some sort of LUT and choosing RGB values that represents
the colors best. Like on VICE.

The problem was probably in extraction of color info.

I can't say for sure. I just hypothyzing.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 newbie
Next: Commodore 128D disk drive problems