From: Joseph Fenn on

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Rick Balkins wrote:
Well when Rick and Bryan and the others working on this project finally
reach a compromised decision that really works why dont you guys
market the necessary box and shame the Creators of the original
C=VGA group from England who never did reach fruition with the
NTSC version. They suceeded with PAL for the Europeans but never
quite made it with the C128 and NTSC. So will cross my fingers
and see if your efforst reach fruition.
Joe (aka kilroy)

From: Mangelore on
Not sure if it's worth marketing at the moment due to the high cost of
the board. At this stage I was thinking of just documenting my
experiences so that others could go ahead purchase the parts and build
it themselves. Plus, I don't have access to an NTSC C128 for testing. If
you guys know where I can get my hands on a cheap working NTSC C128
(without power supply) from someone in the U.S. willing to ship to
Australia please let me know. I don't care about the cosmetic condition
(yellowed plastic etc), as long as the C128 works. Now, it's time to see
how this board handles the video output from an Amiga...

From: Mangelore on
Thanks bud,

That's what I thought but the title of the thread made me think
otherwise. Anyway, I managed to also hook up an Amiga 500. Initial
results look great. I'll be updating the following thread with more test
results, screen shot links, etc....
http://landover.no-ip.com/128/viewtopic.php?id=453

Cheers
Fotios

From: Rick Balkins on
Well, if you had a second one of those converters and wire it up. Then send
it to someone in the US to test it. Then perhaps that'll work!

As for the Amiga, it has both digital and analog RGB lines. So, if you want
the analog RGB, you plug the Amiga's analog RGB lines directly to pin
43,48,53 of the AD9985. Maybe inline a resistor or diode. But basically
direct. You basically want to plug directly as possible. This device was
actually designed more suited for an Amiga or VGA/SVGA PC then a Commodore
128 or CGA PC.

That is the difference. The device is primarily designed to convert Analog
RGB to digital signal. Whereas, when plugging a C128 to it, you had to first
convert the RGBI to analog RGB just to go back to digital again but not in
standard RGBI configuration but for flat-panel monitors or projectors.

In modern term, the C128/CGA is already a 'digitized' video.

From: Mangelore on
Rick Balkins wrote:
> Well, if you had a second one of those converters and wire it up. Then send
> it to someone in the US to test it. Then perhaps that'll work!

That's not a bad idea. I'll need someone who has a C128 and Amiga.

> As for the Amiga, it has both digital and analog RGB lines. So, if you want
> the analog RGB, you plug the Amiga's analog RGB lines directly to pin
> 43,48,53 of the AD9985. Maybe inline a resistor or diode. But basically
> direct. You basically want to plug directly as possible. This device was
> actually designed more suited for an Amiga or VGA/SVGA PC then a Commodore
> 128 or CGA PC.

I got the Amiga working with it yesterday. I connected the analog (not
digital) outputs to the board. The range of colours were limited when
using the digital ones.

Anyway, as per the AD chip datasheet, the board includes a small analog
input circuit that terminates and couples the inputs. I hooked the Amiga
video output to the input of that circuit. It only includes a small
inductor, capacitor and resistor.

It's all good!
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 newbie
Next: Commodore 128D disk drive problems