From: Chris H on
In message <oa4gk5t20cm7paovg7uem1j1gttb8gp5c9(a)4ax.com>, Willy Wonka
<nospam(a)noaddress.org> writes
>On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 21:19:33 -0500, Shawn Hirn <srhi(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>In article
>><2e86fc87-1978-4c4a-b2a7-040783eb9521(a)m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Canon might have been right to avoid this show. Seems like it's a
>>> showcase for lame, cookie-cutter P&S cameras only. A dwindling
>>> market for a increasingly boring camera segment.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/
>>
>>CES has never been much of a venue for seeing the latest and greatest
>>digital cameras, other than the mass market appeal point and shoot
>>models. For a good camera expo, you need to go to PhotoPlus in NYC,
>>which is usually the end of October every year.
>
>That's because DSLRs are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur and the
>wet-plate 8X10 view cameras. I'll give DSLRs another 5 years before they
>have found their dust-collecting place on everyone's shelves just like my
>SLR gear and darkroom supplies did 10 years ago.

You are wrong. CES is a CONSUMER electronics show. It is the natural
home for the P&S, the mobile phone, play stations and gadgets

As pointed out there are several Pro photo shows where you will see the
DSLR's not aimed at the mass consumer market.

BTW I think you will find that most of the P&S will die out in the next
5-10 years. They will be replaced by the camera-phone. I have children
(now in 20's and friends who have children 10-20 who ALL have camera
phones and use them to take pictures (for Facebook etc) and none of them
have a separate camera... well some have a P&S but they don't use them.

Older people do tend to have P&S cameras as they are often less
comfortable with technology... a phone is a phone and a camera is a
camera.

However with time (next 10 years?) I think most P&S users will use a
camera phone, just like David Bailey, and not a P&S camera. As the P&S
requires a high turn over I think the low end and many mid range P&S
will go as they are surpassed by the camera-phone.

High end P&S will remain for those who want something "a bit better" and
the camera enthusiast who wants something smaller and more portable
than their DSLR's.

So in 5 years I expect to very few P&S and no low end ones.

The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera.... I
still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Willy Wonka <nospam(a)noaddress.org> wrote:

> That's because DSLRs are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur and the
> wet-plate 8X10 view cameras. I'll give DSLRs another 5 years before they
> have found their dust-collecting place on everyone's shelves just like my
> SLR gear and darkroom supplies did 10 years ago.

How much money are you willing to put where your mouth is?

No cent?

Thought so.

-Wolfgang
From: John McWilliams on
Chris H wrote:

> The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera.... I
> still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.

Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?

While originally scoffing at cell phone cameras, I use mine several
times a week. It's especially useful for location shots in conjunction
with my old DSLRs: it captures the GPS info and embeds it in the metadata.

--
john mcwilliams

From: John McWilliams on
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Willy Wonka <nospam(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
>
>> That's because DSLRs are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur and the
>> wet-plate 8X10 view cameras. I'll give DSLRs another 5 years before they
>> have found their dust-collecting place on everyone's shelves just like my
>> SLR gear and darkroom supplies did 10 years ago.
>
> How much money are you willing to put where your mouth is?
>
> No cent?
>
> Thought so.

When are you going to stop replying to the pest?

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
Ray Shafranski wrote:
> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Canon might have been right to avoid this show. Seems like it's a
>> showcase for lame, cookie-cutter P&S cameras only. A dwindling
>> market for a increasingly boring camera segment.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/
>
> There's nothing wrong with P&S cameras.
> Those cameras allow unskilled people to take reasonable photos.
> The real idiots are those who say how great they are simply because they own
> a DSLR - well they aren't.

What's the antecedent for "they"?
Compact cameras allow skilled folk to take excellent photos.
DSLRs allow even more excellenter (sic) results when properly used.

--
John McWilliams
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last