From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> ?????? ??? ??????
> In message <124kk556e9b5fqgnmhnr3ttolilq7vidss(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
> <bob(a)1776.COM> writes
>>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:35:38 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>: Chris H wrote:
>>:
>>: >
>>: > The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera....
>>: > still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.
>>:
>>: Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?
>>
>>The U.S. Federal Government has numerous installations into which you're
>>not
>>allowed to bring a camera. If your cell phone has a camera in it, you have
>>leave it at the guard's desk. I had it happen to me once or twice while I
>>was
>>a Government contractor.
>
> Not just government departments. Many Defence companies, a lot of the
> automotive companies (the R&D parts) a lot of the test houses, there are
> many places where you can not take a camera.
>
>>Now I work for a city government that has none of that paranoia,
>
> It's not paranoia just security. It is not required everywhere. In fact
> the majority of places don't mind at all
>
>>and I bring
>>my camera to work whenever I feel like it. And I carry two camera-equipped
>>cell phones, one of them provided by my employer.
>
> I always carry a camera too... except when visiting some customers.

When I was a college student in Kozani, west Macedonia, Greece, we visited
several power stations, etc. I always asked *before* if photographing is
allowed, which usually was. Exept a hydro station, which was underground,
done with NATO money, etc. Then I left my Nikon FM-2 in the coach. After the
visit, I took one and only photo of my fellow students, in front of some
trees. The reason photos were not allowed, was that that p.s. had diesel
generators, that had enough power to open the valves (each the size of the
car) so the alternators could be sped up and synchronized to the 150 kV
grid, in case of the blackout. Then they could slowaly restart the larger,
brown-coal units (300 MW, 400 kV). It was 3 * 125 MW units, stator voltage
15 kV.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: John McWilliams on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <124kk556e9b5fqgnmhnr3ttolilq7vidss(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
> <bob(a)1776.COM> writes
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:35:38 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> : Chris H wrote:
>> :
>> : >
>> : > The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera.... I
>> : > still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.
>> :
>> : Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?
>>
>> The U.S. Federal Government has numerous installations into which you're not
>> allowed to bring a camera. If your cell phone has a camera in it, you have to
>> leave it at the guard's desk. I had it happen to me once or twice while I was
>> a Government contractor.
>
> Not just government departments. Many Defence companies, a lot of the
> automotive companies (the R&D parts) a lot of the test houses, there are
> many places where you can not take a camera.
>
>> Now I work for a city government that has none of that paranoia,
>
> It's not paranoia just security. It is not required everywhere. In fact
> the majority of places don't mind at all
>
>> and I bring
>> my camera to work whenever I feel like it. And I carry two camera-equipped
>> cell phones, one of them provided by my employer.
>
> I always carry a camera too... except when visiting some customers.

Of course it makes sense now.... I just haven't visited any place
recently - since I've had such a phone- that disallows cell phone
cameras....
Thanks.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Rich on
Willy Wonka <nospam(a)noaddress.org> wrote in

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:19:27 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
> wrote:
>

>>However with time (next 10 years?) I think most P&S users will use a
>>camera phone, just like David Bailey, and not a P&S camera. As the P&S
>>requires a high turn over I think the low end and many mid range P&S
>>will go as they are surpassed by the camera-phone.
>
> Will never happen. You can't put a 28mm-560mm wide-aperture ultra-zoom
> lens on one while also providing a high-quality image.

No, but we could make sensors the size of sand grains and have the
equivalent of 10-20000mm lenses in a pocket sized camera. Is that what you
want?

From: Paul Ciszek on

In article <cq2dnUw7cpYNNdbWnZ2dnUVZ_jNi4p2d(a)giganews.com>,
Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>No, but we could make sensors the size of sand grains and have the
>equivalent of 10-20000mm lenses in a pocket sized camera. Is that what you
>want?

1) Diffraction
2) Light gathering--If your typical exposure is not at least several
photons per pixel, Poisson noise will kill the picture.

Now, if we can "paint" surfaces with nano-sensors that somehow preserve
phase information, the outside of your phone could be an ultra-high
resolution camera with no lenses at all.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
From: Willy Wonka on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:39:12 -0600, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Willy Wonka <nospam(a)noaddress.org> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:19:27 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>However with time (next 10 years?) I think most P&S users will use a
>>>camera phone, just like David Bailey, and not a P&S camera. As the P&S
>>>requires a high turn over I think the low end and many mid range P&S
>>>will go as they are surpassed by the camera-phone.
>>
>> Will never happen. You can't put a 28mm-560mm wide-aperture ultra-zoom
>> lens on one while also providing a high-quality image.
>>

>No, but we could make sensors the size of sand grains and have the
>equivalent of 10-20000mm lenses in a pocket sized camera. Is that what you
>want?

Nope. I've no need for that. I'm already buying exactly what I want and
need. Do you always have to resort to such deranged imaginings to try to
make or prove a point that doesn't exist? All of you trolls seem to use
that very same tactic. Time to find a new one.