From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:35:38 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
: Chris H wrote:
:
: >
: > The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera.... I
: > still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.
:
: Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?

The U.S. Federal Government has numerous installations into which you're not
allowed to bring a camera. If your cell phone has a camera in it, you have to
leave it at the guard's desk. I had it happen to me once or twice while I was
a Government contractor.

Now I work for a city government that has none of that paranoia, and I bring
my camera to work whenever I feel like it. And I carry two camera-equipped
cell phones, one of them provided by my employer.

Bob
From: Gary Edstrom on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:41:03 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>What's the antecedent for "they"?
>Compact cameras allow skilled folk to take excellent photos.
>DSLRs allow even more excellenter (sic) results when properly used.

I agree completely!

If you are really serious about photography, why not have BOTH types of
cameras? I do. I carry my P&S EVERYWHERE. It doesn't stand out like a
sore thumb and takes outstanding pictures under daylight conditions. I
can go into places I would never be allowed in if I had a DSLR slung
over my shoulder.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Americana_at_Brand.jpg

This was opening day at the "Americana at Brand" here in Glendale. They
were allowing people to shoot with their P&S cameras. But if you had a
DSLR, you had to register at the press booth.

I break out my DSLR when I am planning some serious photography. But I
may STILL take some P&S pictures, even if I have my DSLR along. You
don't have to choose one camera or the other. Choose the camera that is
right for the job at hand!

Gary
From: Willy Wonka on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:19:27 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

>However with time (next 10 years?) I think most P&S users will use a
>camera phone, just like David Bailey, and not a P&S camera. As the P&S
>requires a high turn over I think the low end and many mid range P&S
>will go as they are surpassed by the camera-phone.

Will never happen. You can't put a 28mm-560mm wide-aperture ultra-zoom lens
on one while also providing a high-quality image.

For some people that require dependable, adaptable, compact, and
lightweight cameras that are not prone to all the myriad problems (dust,
mirror and sensor condensation, poor cold weather performance, cost,
weight, obnoxiously loud mirror-slap and image destroying jarring from that
mechanical action, no high-speed flash sync, etc. etc.) inherent in the
interchangeable-lens SLR design, a DSLR will never be able to provide what
they need and require. Cry all you want. There's a large portion of people
that find exceptional performance from super-zoom fixed-lens cameras that
aren't dependent on last-century's mechanical contraptions and poorly
implemented phase-contrast focusing errors. That's why super-zoom P&S
cameras sell as well as they do. Today and tomorrow. Even more-so tomorrow,
as people find out that images from these cameras are every bit as good if
not better than those coming from DSLRs these days. The very same way that
film buffs finally found out that digital cameras surpassed their cherished
film media. You don't see the newsgroups overrun with film vs. digital wars
today do you? Just as you won't see newsgroups overrun with P&S vs DSLR
wars in the very near future. The DSLR dinosaur is going the way of the
film dinosaur.

Your DSLR 8x10 view-camera's days are most definitely numbered.

From: Chris H on
In message <hics4c$oqm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>
>> The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a
>>camera.... I
>> still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.
>
>Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?

When visiting customers. Many do not permit cameras in their
establishments.

>While originally scoffing at cell phone cameras, I use mine several
>times a week. It's especially useful for location shots in conjunction
>with my old DSLRs: it captures the GPS info and embeds it in the
>metadata.

Exactly.... This is why the low end P&S are dying out. "Everyone"
carries a phone and 99% of them have a camera that is as good as the
basic P&S from 2 years a go.

From: Chris H on
In message <124kk556e9b5fqgnmhnr3ttolilq7vidss(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob(a)1776.COM> writes
>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:35:38 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>: Chris H wrote:
>:
>: >
>: > The problem is these days getting a mobile phone without a camera.... I
>: > still have a Nokia 6210 when I have to use a phone with no camera.
>:
>: Under what circumstances do you have to use a phone sans camera ?
>
>The U.S. Federal Government has numerous installations into which you're not
>allowed to bring a camera. If your cell phone has a camera in it, you have to
>leave it at the guard's desk. I had it happen to me once or twice while I was
>a Government contractor.

Not just government departments. Many Defence companies, a lot of the
automotive companies (the R&D parts) a lot of the test houses, there are
many places where you can not take a camera.

>Now I work for a city government that has none of that paranoia,

It's not paranoia just security. It is not required everywhere. In fact
the majority of places don't mind at all

>and I bring
>my camera to work whenever I feel like it. And I carry two camera-equipped
>cell phones, one of them provided by my employer.

I always carry a camera too... except when visiting some customers.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: $12,000 versus $1000
Next: Downloading from a Nikon P5100?