From: Paul Stowe on
On Sep 7, 12:58 pm, alien8er <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 5:37 am, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
>

> > "alien8er" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >  How much acceleration must one apply to an object, in which
> > > direction, and for how long, in order for the object to come to rest
> > > in your absolute frame of reference?
>
> > Surely that depends on how fast and in what direction the object is moving
> > wrt the 'absolute frame' at the time.
>
>   Exactly, which leads inexorably to the followup zinger: how does one
> determine that velocity?
>
>   Mark L. Fergerson

Answer, look around at the CMBR...

From: Paul Stowe on
On Sep 7, 4:34 pm, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> "alien8er" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Sep 7, 5:37 am, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> >> "alien8er" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Surely that depends on how fast and in what direction the object is
> >> moving
> >> wrt the 'absolute frame' at the time.
>
> >  Exactly, which leads inexorably to the followup zinger: how does one
> > determine that velocity?
>
> First you have to find the frame.  Those that hold the CNBR reference frame
> is 'the absolute' frame, and our motion relative to that is known and
> measureable.

Right...
From: eric gisse on
Inertial wrote:

> "alien8er" <alien8752(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sep 7, 5:37 am, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
>>> "alien8er" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

e68cde032dc3(a)k13g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

>>> Surely that depends on how fast and in what direction the object is
>>> moving
>>> wrt the 'absolute frame' at the time.
>>
>> Exactly, which leads inexorably to the followup zinger: how does one
>> determine that velocity?
>
> First you have to find the frame. Those that hold the CNBR reference
> frame is 'the absolute' frame, and our motion relative to that is known
> and measureable.

Then you have to explain why it is absolute.
From: Inertial on
"eric gisse" <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Inertial wrote:
>
>> "alien8er" <alien8752(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> e68cde032dc3(a)k13g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

>>> Exactly, which leads inexorably to the followup zinger: how does one
>>> determine that velocity?
>>
>> First you have to find the frame. Those that hold the CNBR reference
>> frame is 'the absolute' frame, and our motion relative to that is known
>> and measureable.
>
> Then you have to explain why it is absolute.

That's the tricky bit.

Of course, there are lots of interesting frame of reference out there, like
the CMBR frame, and that they can be useful frames in which to consider some
physics problems.

The CMBR reference frame doesn't seem to have any different physics to any
other frame. It might be an important frame astronomically, but what
justification is there for calling it 'absolute'?

What is actually required for a frame to justify the label 'the absolute
frame'. Is it any more than a label to hang on one frame, that is really
just the same as any other frame as far as the laws of physics is concerned
? If that is all it is, then there's not much point in hanging the
'absolute' label on it.

The justification for why it should be called 'the absolute frame' and how
its physics differs from any other frame (note: not the properties of
background radiation, in the case of CMBR, but the properties of the frame
itself) is what needs to be put forward. So far there no-one seems able to
show any such justification.

From: Koobee Wublee on
On Sep 6, 11:46 pm, Surfer <n...(a)spam.net> wrote:
> Koobee Wublee wrote:
>
> >.... the null
> >results of the MMX in which the only logical explanation is the Voigt
> >transform [#] which spells out the absolute frame of reference right
> >there and then. <shrug>
>
> The Voigt transform is falsified by the experimental measurement of
> time dilation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woldemar_Voigt

It is so only for the very shallowed of minds. <shrug>

> > [#] Although the Lorentz transform like an infinite
> > numbers of such transforms also satisfies the null
> > results of the MMX, it however manifests the absurdity
> > in the twins’ paradox.
>
> The paradox is not caused by the Lorentz transform because if the
> twins calculate their time dilations relative to a preferred frame,
> they obtain the same answers.

You obviously have no idea what the issues are. <shrug>