From: eric gisse on
Inertial wrote:
[...]

>> That's because the advocates, quite frankly, have less intellectual
>> horsepower than my giant pine cone.
>
> I'll have to have a look at that. Mind you, I thought you looked quite
> friendly in your old facebook photo.

That's the purpose of smiling, but thanks :P

I guess I haven't quite managed to communicate how amused I was [and am] to
have a pine cone that's the size of a football.

>> I'll talk to the giant pine cone and expect a non-hallucinatory answer
>> long
>> before I approach the likes of someone like Seto with a serious physics
>> problem.
>
> Hehehehe. But is the pine cone as much fun?

I get more entertainment from showing a random person a picture of a giant
pine cone than discussing physics with Seto. I take unusual pride in my
giant pine cone, even though I found it in the middle of an access road in
the Shasta mountains....
From: Albertito on
On Sep 8, 10:18 am, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Inertial wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> That's because the advocates, quite frankly, have less intellectual
> >> horsepower than my giant pine cone.
>
> > I'll have to have a look at that. Mind you, I thought you looked quite
> > friendly in your old facebook photo.
>
> That's the purpose of smiling, but thanks :P
>
> I guess I haven't quite managed to communicate how amused I was [and am] to
> have a pine cone that's the size of a football.
>

> >> I'll talk to the giant pine cone and expect a non-hallucinatory answer
> >> long
> >> before I approach the likes of someone like Seto with a serious physics
> >> problem.
>
> > Hehehehe. But is the pine cone as much fun?
>
> I get more entertainment from showing a random person a picture of a giant
> pine cone than discussing physics with Seto. I take unusual pride in my
> giant pine cone, even though I found it in the middle of an access road in
> the Shasta mountains....

Uhmmmm, interesting. So, you've got giant pine cone, eh?
:-P

From: Sandcastle on

"Koobee Wublee" <koobee.wublee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 7, 5:48 am, "Sandcastle" <i...(a)vipilot.com> wrote:
>> "Koobee Wublee" wrote:
>
>> > If there was a Big Bang, there must be an absolute frame of
>> > reference. <shrug> Thus, yours truly is not surprised that there is
>> > a dipole shift to the CMBR. <shrug> Accepting the Big Bang and
>> > denying the absolute frame of reference is a contradictory concept.
>> > It is utterly absurd. <shrug>
>>
>> If you think of the Big Bang as starting at a single point in space, your
>> statemente above would be true. But if you think of the big bang as all
>> of
>> space time existing as a singularity, and that singularity is just
>> expanding, then the lack of a frame of reference is no longer absurd.
>
> Hmmm... You are assuming the Big Bang started in a singularity based
> on false mathematical models. What if it did not? There would be no
> need for the absurdity in inflation where space can curve and expand
> faster than the speed of light.

No. I am assuming the Big Bang started in a singularity based on the concept
that space-time is doing the expansion, not something sitting in space-time.
To date there has been no challenge to space-time (with the exception of
violation of Bell's Theorem in experiments based on an erroneous assumption
rather than the theorem).

If you accept space-time, then there is no such thing as faster than the
speed of light. Time is almost at a standstill as you approach the speed of
light and distances have reduced to zero. For example, if you could ride on
a light beam, you would instantaneously travel the width of the universe.
The photon is created at its source the same instant that it is destroyed at
its destination. But an observer, not near the speed of the light beam would
measure the time in billions of light years.

From: Albertito on
On Sep 8, 11:24 am, "Sandcastle" <i...(a)vipilot.com> wrote:
> "Koobee Wublee" <koobee.wub...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> If you think of the Big Bang as starting at a single point in space, your
> >> statemente above would be true. But if you think of the big bang as all
> >> of
> >> space time existing as a singularity, and that singularity is just
> >> expanding, then the lack of a frame of reference is no longer absurd.
>
> > Hmmm... You are assuming the Big Bang started in a singularity based
> > on false mathematical models. What if it did not? There would be no
> > need for the absurdity in inflation where space can curve and expand
> > faster than the speed of light.
>
> No. I am assuming the Big Bang started in a singularity based on the concept
> that space-time is doing the expansion, not something sitting in space-time.
> To date there has been no challenge to space-time (with the exception of
> violation of Bell's Theorem in experiments based on an erroneous assumption
> rather than the theorem).
>
> If you accept space-time, then there is no such thing as faster than the
> speed of light. Time is almost at a standstill as you approach the speed of
> light and distances have reduced to zero. For example, if you could ride on
> a light beam, you would instantaneously travel the width of the universe.
> The photon is created at its source the same instant that it is destroyed at
> its destination. But an observer, not near the speed of the light beam would
> measure the time in billions of light years.

You allucinate, dude. You believe in what
mainstream textbooks tell you the truth is.
Let me suggest you in addition some other
sources for your gullibility,

The Mahabharata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

Ramayana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana

Ramavataram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramavataram

bon appétit!
From: mluttgens on
On 8 sep, 01:32, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> "mluttgens" <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote in message

> > On 7 sep, 14:22, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> >> "mluttgens" <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote in message

> >> I would have assumed it was taken from the context of talking about
> >> frames,
> >> and absolute frames in particular, that 'the CMBR' was referring to what
> >> is
> >> sometimes called the CMBR rest frame (as described above by Tom).

> >> It makes as much sense as an object moving wrt the CMBR.
>
> > No, read what Tom Roberts said:
>
> I did .. read what I said
>
> > "The measurement of "the earth's motion with respect to the CMBR"
> > is really a measurement of the earth's speed relative to THE FRAME
> > IN WHICH THE CMBR DIPOLE MOMENT IS ZERO."
>
> That's right
>
> > He didn't say that the Earth has no motion wrt the CMBR,
>
> Neither did I

Then explain how the "radiation apparently filling the universe"
can move wrt the Earth.

Marcel Luttgens