From: mluttgens on
On 7 sep, 20:15, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 7:53 am, mluttgens <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote:
>

> > CMBR's motion wrt the Earth
>
> > In cosmology, cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation
> > (also CMBR, CBR, MBR, and relic radiation) is a form of
> > electromagnetic radiation filling the universe.
> > (fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMBR)
>
> > By measuring the amount of the dipole anisotropy (the bluest
> > part of the sky is .0033 K hotter than average), we can determine
> > the magnitude of the earth's motion with respect to the CMB:
> > the earth is moving at a speed of 370 km/s in the direction
> > of the constellation Virgo.
> > (fromhttp://www.phy.duke.edu/~kolena/cmb.htm)
>
> > It (the CMBR) does move with respect to an object.
> > (from PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com>, Sep 5, 2009)
>
> > Clearly, the Earth moves wrt the CMBR. According to SR,
> > reciprocally, the CMBR moves wrt the Earth.
> > Can somebody explain how, physically, an electromagnetic
> > radiation filling the universe can move relative to the Earth?
>
> > Marcel Luttgens
>
> I think you are confused about what relative motion means, Marcel. You
> have in your head that motion is an absolute statement, as in either
> something is in motion or it's not. This is not the case.
>
> If you have car and a stop sign and a fire hydrant, the car is in
> motion relative to the stop sign, and the stop sign is in motion
> relative to the car, and the fire hydrant is not in motion relative to
> the stop sign, and the stop sign is not in relative to the fire
> hydrant, and the fire hydrant is in motion relative to the car, and
> the car is in motion relative to the fire hydrant.
>
> I think you have it in your head that if you have two objects A and B
> and they are in relative motion, then this means that one of them is
> in motion and the other is not. As in, A is in motion relative to B,
> but B is not in motion relative to A.

No, what I have in my head is that if A is in motion relative
to the CMBR, it is impossible to physically demonstrate that
the CMBR moves wrt A.

Marcel Luttgens

From: Albertito on
On Sep 8, 12:07 pm, mluttgens <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote:
> On 7 sep, 20:15, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 6, 7:53 am, mluttgens <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote:
>
> > > CMBR's motion wrt the Earth
>
> > > In cosmology, cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation
> > > (also CMBR, CBR, MBR, and relic radiation) is a form of
> > > electromagnetic radiation filling the universe.
> > > (fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMBR)
>
> > > By measuring the amount of the dipole anisotropy (the bluest
> > > part of the sky is .0033 K hotter than average), we can determine
> > > the magnitude of the earth's motion with respect to the CMB:
> > > the earth is moving at a speed of 370 km/s in the direction
> > > of the constellation Virgo.
> > > (fromhttp://www.phy.duke.edu/~kolena/cmb.htm)
>
> > > It (the CMBR) does move with respect to an object.
> > > (from PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com>, Sep 5, 2009)
>
> > > Clearly, the Earth moves wrt the CMBR. According to SR,
> > > reciprocally, the CMBR moves wrt the Earth.
> > > Can somebody explain how, physically, an electromagnetic
> > > radiation filling the universe can move relative to the Earth?
>
> > > Marcel Luttgens
>
> > I think you are confused about what relative motion means, Marcel. You
> > have in your head that motion is an absolute statement, as in either
> > something is in motion or it's not. This is not the case.
>
> > If you have car and a stop sign and a fire hydrant, the car is in
> > motion relative to the stop sign, and the stop sign is in motion
> > relative to the car, and the fire hydrant is not in motion relative to
> > the stop sign, and the stop sign is not in relative to the fire
> > hydrant, and the fire hydrant is in motion relative to the car, and
> > the car is in motion relative to the fire hydrant.
>
> > I think you have it in your head that if you have two objects A and B
> > and they are in relative motion, then this means that one of them is
> > in motion and the other is not. As in, A is in motion relative to B,
> > but B is not in motion relative to A.
>
> No, what I have in my head is that if A is in motion relative
> to the CMBR, it is impossible to physically demonstrate that
> the CMBR moves wrt A.
>
> Marcel Luttgens
>

> > When you say that you don't believe the CMBR is in motion relative to
> > the earth, I believe you think this because you somehow believe the
> > CMBR is fixed and stationary in some absolute sense and so can't be in
> > any kind of motion, relative or not. I don't know where you got this
> > idea.
>
> > PD

You are right Marcel. CMBR conforms an absolute frame
of reference in the sense that the sources that emitted
those CMBR photons were so distant from us, that their
respective angular positions have not changed a bit since
the emission events to the absoption ones.

I can rember a wonderful thread started by Henri Wilson
in this very forum called "Why are the 'Fixed Stars' so FIXED?"
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/82337144cdc010f9

Thanks

From: PD on
On Sep 8, 6:02 am, mluttgens <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote:
> On 8 sep, 01:32, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
>

> > "mluttgens" <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote in message

> > > No, read what Tom Roberts said:
>
> > I did .. read what I said
>
> > > "The measurement of "the earth's motion with respect to the CMBR"
> > > is really a measurement of the earth's speed relative to THE FRAME
> > > IN WHICH THE CMBR DIPOLE MOMENT IS ZERO."
>
> > That's right
>
> > > He didn't say that the Earth has no motion wrt the CMBR,
>
> > Neither did I
>
> Then explain how the "radiation apparently filling the universe"
> can move wrt the Earth.

You have some really strange ideas, Marcel.
First, it sounds like you imagine the universe as being a giant ball
with a boundary, where the radiation filling the universe is like some
fluid filling a ball and so stationary with respect to the boundary of
the ball. The universe has no boundary, no center.
Second, you still seem to have a problem understanding relative
motion. If a boat and the ocean are in relative motion, then the boat
is in motion relative to the ocean AND the ocean is in motion relative
to the boat. It is NOT the case that only one of these should be
considered to be in motion.

From: Inertial on
"mluttgens" <mluttgens(a)orange.fr> wrote in message
> On 8 sep, 01:32, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
>> "mluttgens" <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote in message

>> > No, read what Tom Roberts said:
>>
>> I did .. read what I said
>>
>> > "The measurement of "the earth's motion with respect to the CMBR"
>> > is really a measurement of the earth's speed relative to THE FRAME
>> > IN WHICH THE CMBR DIPOLE MOMENT IS ZERO."
>>
>> That's right
>>
>> > He didn't say that the Earth has no motion wrt the CMBR,
>>
>> Neither did I
>
> Then explain how the "radiation apparently filling the universe"
> can move wrt the Earth.

If its radiation, it moves at c relative to us, and relative to any other
object.

But the CMBR frame, the one we move at ~370km/s within, is the frame of
reference where the "CMBR DIPOLE MOMENT IS ZERO" (to quote Tom's caps from
above). We move at 370km/s relative to it, and so it moves at 370km/s
relative to us.

Please try and understand the terminology and basic physics here. Its not
that hard.

From: Inertial on
"Albertito" <albertito1992(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 8, 12:07 pm, mluttgens <mluttg...(a)orange.fr> wrote:

>> > I think you are confused about what relative motion means, Marcel. You
>> > have in your head that motion is an absolute statement, as in either
>> > something is in motion or it's not. This is not the case.
>>
>> > If you have car and a stop sign and a fire hydrant, the car is in
>> > motion relative to the stop sign, and the stop sign is in motion
>> > relative to the car, and the fire hydrant is not in motion relative to
>> > the stop sign, and the stop sign is not in relative to the fire
>> > hydrant, and the fire hydrant is in motion relative to the car, and
>> > the car is in motion relative to the fire hydrant.
>>
>> > I think you have it in your head that if you have two objects A and B
>> > and they are in relative motion, then this means that one of them is
>> > in motion and the other is not. As in, A is in motion relative to B,
>> > but B is not in motion relative to A.
>>
>> No, what I have in my head is that if A is in motion relative
>> to the CMBR, it is impossible to physically demonstrate that
>> the CMBR moves wrt A.
>>
>> Marcel Luttgens
>>

>> > When you say that you don't believe the CMBR is in motion relative to
>> > the earth, I believe you think this because you somehow believe the
>> > CMBR is fixed and stationary in some absolute sense and so can't be in
>> > any kind of motion, relative or not. I don't know where you got this
>> > idea.
>>
>> > PD
>
> You are right Marcel. CMBR conforms an absolute frame
> of reference in the sense that the sources that emitted
> those CMBR photons were so distant from us, that their
> respective angular positions have not changed a bit since
> the emission events to the absoption ones.

It is a frame, but nothing absolute about it. The physics of that frame is
the same as any other. It is a significant frame (especially to
astronomers)

> I can rember a wonderful thread started by Henri Wilson
> in this very forum called "Why are the 'Fixed Stars' so FIXED?"
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/82337144cdc010f9

Oh gawd, not Henry. He has some weird ideas, and an amazing lack of
understanding about physics, and ability to post untruths with apparently no
remorse.