From: Michael on
On Feb 24, 1:31 pm, EnergyAdvisor <p...(a)paulq.org> wrote:
> Enjoy your collecting, just don't pretend that a Commodore 65 is equal
> to a Ming dynasty vase.  I like my Commodore computers as much as the
> next guy, but find the comparison to a Ming dynasty vase embarrassing.

Ok... Lets take another stab at this. The reason the Commodore 65 is
so valuable is because it was never released. When Commodore folded
people went and bought/took the demo units. So, they are very rare.
Instead of ming vases, will deal with baseball cards. You telling me
that a piece of card board could be worth 1/2 million dollars.
Possibly if it was rare and had some famous signature. However, being
a Commodore collector/enthusiast and not a base ball collector, to me
that card would not be worth that much. However, I 'respect' the
people that think/know it is. Your saying just produce the item again.
People have tried and failed. The closest thing is the C64DTV and the
C1. Talking with music minded people, they said no-one to date has
replicated an original SID chip that has the same quality and
filtering as the original. I grew up with Commodores, I really like
playing games on them more then I do a PSP, Playstation 3, PC, or a
XBOX360. Don't get me wrong I still play games on the others but they
don't have the nostalgia that the Commodore had.

Or how about the football fan who decorates his house with his teams
memorabilia. Pays $1000 of dollars for a signed shirt, etc... Same
thing. I am a fan of Commodore. I grew up with them and I think they
are next best thing to sliced bread.

From: Dragos on
Its funny, just when you think Pauline is gone.....

As I previously said, I do not need the money, I know, its hard for
some people (Paul Quirk) to understand that, but why not sell one
thing, if the price is right, to get another thing you may want,
thereby leaving all your current money where it is?

I think thats a sound idea for HOBBIES, which is what this is.

Like I said, Jims recent sales only prove my valuation of this "old
used junk"

From: Dragos on
Pics....

http://c64.digitalscream.com/pics/for-sale/SCPU128/

From: EnergyAdvisor on
On Feb 24, 2:52 pm, Michael <mister...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 1:31 pm, EnergyAdvisor <p...(a)paulq.org> wrote:
>
> > Enjoy your collecting, just don't pretend that a Commodore 65 is equal
> > to a Ming dynasty vase.  I like my Commodore computers as much as the
> > next guy, but find the comparison to a Ming dynasty vase embarrassing.
>
> Ok... Lets take another stab at this. The reason the Commodore 65 is
> so valuable is because it was never released. When Commodore folded
> people went and bought/took the demo units. So, they are very rare.
> Instead of ming vases, will deal with baseball cards. You telling me
> that a piece of card board could be worth 1/2 million dollars.
> Possibly if it was rare and had some famous signature. However, being
> a Commodore collector/enthusiast and not a base ball collector, to me
> that card would not be worth that much. However, I 'respect' the
> people that think/know it is. Your saying just produce the item again.
> People have tried and failed. The closest thing is the C64DTV and the
> C1. Talking with music minded people, they said no-one to date has
> replicated an original SID chip that has the same quality and
> filtering as the original. I grew up with Commodores, I really like
> playing games on them more then I do a PSP, Playstation 3, PC, or a
> XBOX360. Don't get me wrong I still play games on the others but they
> don't have the nostalgia that the Commodore had.
>
>  Or how about the football fan who decorates his house with his teams
> memorabilia. Pays $1000 of dollars for a signed shirt, etc... Same
> thing. I am a fan of Commodore. I grew up with them and I think they
> are next best thing to sliced bread.

I feel pretty much the same way about old comics, baseball cards, and
the like. I can recognize the value of the first comic book EVER,
just as I can recognize the value of the first home computer EVER.
Certainly, these mark turning points in history. But then I think
about a product like the CMD stuff, and to me, that's like hawking the
aftermarket stuff that was originally available for the '57 Chevy.
Most car collectors don't really care that much about spending big
bucks on the aftermarket products available at the time; they're more
interested in either a) original equipment, or b) current, more
reliable aftermarket parts.

I certainly don't think everyone in this forum are fools; most people
either: a) still have their original equipment, b) had their Commodore
equipment given to them, or c) purchased it for a very reasonable
price (<1/2 of MSRP). The CMD stuff is rare because most people
didn't bother buying it, and in this day and age, with Jim Brain's
uIEC, it's almost completely lost relevance. I would go so far as to
say that the uIEC is destined to retain its own cultural relevance
which will easily exceed that of CMD hardware. A low serial number
C64, or a prototype pre-production C64, I can see that being worth a
nice chunk of cash.

Of course, we all know that Mark Gladson doesn't need the money, he
just can't afford eBay's outrageous fees. LOL
From: Michael on
On Feb 25, 3:44 pm, EnergyAdvisor <p...(a)paulq.org> wrote:
> The CMD stuff is rare because most people
> didn't bother buying it, and in this day and age, with Jim Brain's
> uIEC, it's almost completely lost relevance.  I would go so far as to
> say that the uIEC is destined to retain its own cultural relevance
> which will easily exceed that of CMD hardware.  A low serial number
> C64, or a prototype pre-production C64, I can see that being worth a
> nice chunk of cash.

I agree for most of it. But the CMD is another issue. I remember when
the hard-drive came out. A guy with the nick-name of Megna came on the
sceen and had one. It was not that no one wanted one. None of us could
afford them and credit years ago was not like it is today. They did a
lot of checking back then. I remember being at a commodore group and
everyone was in awe about it. Back then most of the main crowd I hung
around with were teenagers/young adulst and money was not there due to
the age. So, you had an item you can not buy but adds incredibly fast
speeds or storage to your computer. There are very little of them out
there compared to the Commodore 64 itself. I really don't thing they
would sell for much if they had thing today that could work as good or
be compatible with them. CMD hard-drive = Can run GEOS. uIEC can not.
Also the CMD had some other advantages to boot. Don't get me wrong. I
have a couple uIECs to mess around with but having a CMD hard-drive
and being able to run GEOS off of it would be a different story. The
Super CPU on the other hand. There is 'nothing' made today that gets a
stock 64 going at 20MHz. You would think it would be more possible
with todays tech but no. So you have limited amout of Super CPUs and
there is nothing available today that can run as its equal. With the
NIC expansion, JiffyDOS, and other thing happening, wouldn't it be
nice if could product an item of such quality today. 20 years and they
are still ticking.