From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:29:21 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>I remember coding COBOL before there was a PICTURE clause (It was the COBOL
>59 compiler). We used SIZE, CLASS, and USAGE to achieve the same result. I
>also remember being able to write OTHERWISE in an IF statement... happy
>days...:-)

I used to use OTHERWISE, but my first compiler had the brand new
PICTURE feature. I don't know of another optional feature that took
over as rapidly as that one.
From: HeyBub on
Judson McClendon wrote:
> The culprit said she didn't understand how my design
> worked, so she threw mine away and redid it without telling anyone. I'm
> still proud of
> myself for avoiding homicide at that point. :-)
>
> I don't remember if she used indexes or subscripts. ;-)

Possibly neither:

IF OP-CODE = 'A'
MOVE TAX-RATE(1) TO MYTAX
ELSE
IF OP-CODE = 'B'
MOVE TAX-RATE(2) TO MYTAX

From: Charles Hottel on

"Judson McClendon" <judmc(a)sunvaley0.com> wrote in message
> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> It is not always possible to tell the future and code for the most
>> general case. ...
>
> You're right, but I try very hard to do it. I've been saved many times,
> and
> come out smelling like a rose, because of careful forethought. In the 70's
> I designed a Criminal Justice system for the local county. In one area
> there
> was a case number that was 8 numeric digits. I thought "Oh, yeah, they're
> definitely going to make that sucker bigger at some point, so I'll head
> 'em
> off at the pass" and built a 12 character alphanumeric case number into
> the new system. About five years later, the courts decided they wanted a
> 15 character case number. Sigh.
>
> Last I heard, the system is still running, though probably modified beyond
> recognition by now. Don't you love it when some incompetent dolt does a
> complete rewrite on one of your programs, leaving only your name as the
> author? :-) No kidding, I once had someone do a whole system of mine
> like that. I didn't know it until about three years later when a
> programmer
> working on it asked me why a certain program did such-and-such. I told
> him it didn't, and when he showed me the listing, it was not remotely like
> what I had designed or written. He said he had been wondering why I had
> written such crummy code. I learned that the user department had been
> mumbling behind my back about what a crummy system I had written for
> them. I didn't blame them, but did set them straight about who did what,
> and fortunately had my original design and listings as proof. I had been
> pulled off the system for another project just before completion. The
> culprit said she didn't understand how my design worked, so she threw
> mine away and redid it without telling anyone. I'm still proud of myself
> for
> avoiding homicide at that point. :-)
>
> I don't remember if she used indexes or subscripts. ;-)
> --
> Judson McClendon judmc(a)sunvaley0.com (remove zero)
> Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
> "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
> whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

From now on I am only using inscripts and subdexes. If that gets past
Robert's aluminum foil it should give him quite a headache, but
unfortunately probably not the one he deserves ;-)

From: Charles Hottel on

> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>> I can assure you I am a very multi-faceted person and no particular
>> generalization is going to be totally accurate. ...
>
> Even "a very multi-faceted person?" ;-)
>
> Sorry, Pete, I just couldn't resist. :-)
> --
> Judson McClendon judmc(a)sunvaley0.com (remove zero)
> Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
> "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
> whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

It is worse than I imagined, I though he was only "two faced" ;-)

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Judson McClendon" <judmc(a)sunvaley0.com> wrote in message
>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>>> I can assure you I am a very multi-faceted person and no particular
>>> generalization is going to be totally accurate. ...
>>
>> Even "a very multi-faceted person?" ;-)
>>
>> Sorry, Pete, I just couldn't resist. :-)
>> --
>> Judson McClendon judmc(a)sunvaley0.com (remove zero)
>> Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
>> "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>> whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
>>

> It is worse than I imagined, I though he was only "two faced" ;-)

If I had two, I wouldn't be using the one I am.

Pete.