From: Robert on
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:09:14 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>In article <0a06f39ptn9oek7j16r07hr4cogk0qv8t2(a)4ax.com>,
>Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>Dinosaurs became extinct
>>because they were
>>incapable or unwilling to change .. except for a 'radical faction' that
>>morphed into birds
>>and an old school we now call crocodilians.
>
>Not too many things are capable of changing fast enough to meet the
>environmental variations induced by a meteorite (or comet) about ten miles
>across (estimated) slamming into the Yucatan Peninsula, as far as I know.

It was called the K-T impact, or Cretaceous�Tertiary extinction event (K is the
abbreviation for Cretaceous). It occurred 65 million years ago.

Thing is, dinosaurs were on the decline for 100 million years before that impact.

From: Anonymous on
In article <0hg6f3p406f6alsph4s3c2ef5u478bvq2t(a)4ax.com>,
Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:20:43 -0700, Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>>You are one of the 'Cobol people', why are you throwing schoolboy
>>insults at yourself and your message ?
>
>I'm throwing schoolboy insults at mainframers because they destroyed the
>programming
>language I love.

Well, that would seem to explain a great deal... everyone needs a hobby, I
guess.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <h5k6f39nivddqvnsoe4loubi6abhn3pnrb(a)4ax.com>,
Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:09:14 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>In article <0a06f39ptn9oek7j16r07hr4cogk0qv8t2(a)4ax.com>,
>>Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>Dinosaurs became extinct
>>>because they were
>>>incapable or unwilling to change .. except for a 'radical faction' that
>>>morphed into birds
>>>and an old school we now call crocodilians.
>>
>>Not too many things are capable of changing fast enough to meet the
>>environmental variations induced by a meteorite (or comet) about ten miles
>>across (estimated) slamming into the Yucatan Peninsula, as far as I know.
>
>It was called the K-T impact, or Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event (K
>is the abbreviation for Cretaceous). It occurred 65 million years ago.
>
>Thing is, dinosaurs were on the decline for 100 million years before
>that impact.

A rather precipitious drop, indeed... but 'going downhill' is not, last I
looked, the same as 'being at the bottom of the hill'; if the event which
caused extinction was the K-T then it really doesn't appear to matter
where, exactly, on the hill they were.

DD

From: William M. Klein on
"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:21:35 GMT, "William M. Klein"
> <wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I and Richard posted facts showing speed is the same. We have not seen facts
> from
> mainframe-land,except a five year old study. Just post some facts and skip the
> ad homina.

I do NOT have personal access to an Enterprise V3.4 COBOL compiler - and I do
believe what IBM says about its performance (and don't believe that you know how
they implement all their syntax -> machine code). HOWEVER,

If you create a source program that you think tests subscripts vs indexes
(whether it is comprehensive or not), then I think some CLC person might compile
and run it for you.

Therefore, please create and post a sample program that cleanly compiles with
the Micro Focus directives:
NOMF DIALECT(ENTCOBOL) FLAGAS(S)

If you are not using a current-enough version of Server Express to include
support for the DIALECT directive, then use:
NOMF ENTCOBOL FLAG(ENTCOBOL) FLAGAS(S) ARITHMETIC(ENTCOBOL)
PERFORM-TYPE(ENTCOBOL)

If you post such a program and no one else in CLC compiles and runs it (and
posts the results) I will find someone who can and will.

As I have previously, stated, I don't think any of your tests are comprehensive
(as I *do* think those of the IBM Performance paper were). However, this will
(I believe) give you an answer as to what happens today with Enterprise COBOL.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: William M. Klein on
"Richard" <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote in message
<snip>

> With 'indexed by' each index is local to the table and to the level.
> If an index is used outside its designated scope the compiler will (or
> should) give an error.

I know that Richard understands this, but just for the record,

Such a message "should" occur if ANSI/ISO conformance checking is turned on *OR*
if the compiler does not include a documented extension to allow for uses of
indexes with other tables. (I am 99.99% certain that all of those compiler WITH
such an extension do flag it as such - when such flagging is requested.)

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com