From: Pete Dashwood on

"Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:50:53 -0500, Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>>
>>>Most people who use indexes believe it. Why else would they use indexes?
>>
>> Habit.
>
> When was the last time anyone posting here ever had a performance problem
> whose solution was related to subscripting or indexing? Changing to
> indexes in order to do a binary search being excluded. The few times that
> I have had to optimize generally involved changing to a better algorithm.
> One program on a 360/30 took over two hours. I changed it to use two
> 8000 byte buffers (that was the largest I could make them due to storage
> constraints) and the time dropped to 10 to 15 minutes. I have changed
> sequential sorts to binary sort both hand coded using subscripts and using
> SEARCH ALL. The hand coded subscript approach avoided searching any table
> entries that have not been loaded with data just by proper setting of the
> HI subscript. Although as Pete and other here have posted I don't recall
> ever having that problem. Much later on I had to optimize a couple of
> programs that were slow due to high volume random access of VSAM KSDS
> files. The solution was to sort the input transactions which took away a
> lot of the randomness and effectively resulting in cacheing where
> subsequent transaction could take advantage of data already read by the
> previous transaction. I have not had a performance problem of any type in
> the last 20 years.

Good post, re-establishing some perspective here...:-)

> I suggest we move on to another more interesting thread, perhaps one where
> two fleas argue over which one owns the dog that they live on.

Two fleas hop out of a theatre.
One says to the other: "Shall we walk home or catch a dog?"

Pete.

From: LX-i on
Robert wrote:

> Most people who use indexes believe [they are faster]. Why else would they use indexes?

I used indexes because I liked the way that they kept a table and its
pointer unified. I've also used indexes on large text-accruing tables.
I like the way they look. (And, I proved that they're a lot faster
than reference modification...)

~ / \/ _ o ~ Live from Albuquerque, NM! ~
~ _ /\ | ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Business E-mail ~ daniel @ "Business Website" below ~
~ Business Website ~ http://www.djs-consulting.com ~
~ Tech Blog ~ http://www.djs-consulting.com/linux/blog ~
~ Personal E-mail ~ "Personal Blog" as e-mail address ~
~ Personal Blog ~ http://daniel.summershome.org ~

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w$ !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ z++++

"Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see,
or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in?" - Brad Stine
From: Charles Hottel on

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message

>>> Habit.
>>
>> When was the last time anyone posting here ever had a performance problem
>> whose solution was related to subscripting or indexing? Changing to
>> indexes in order to do a binary search being excluded. The few times that
>> I have had to optimize generally involved changing to a better algorithm.
>> One program on a 360/30 took over two hours. I changed it to use two
>> 8000 byte buffers (that was the largest I could make them due to storage
>> constraints) and the time dropped to 10 to 15 minutes. I have changed
>> sequential sorts to binary sort both hand coded using subscripts and
>> using SEARCH ALL. The hand coded subscript approach avoided searching
>> any table entries that have not been loaded with data just by proper
>> setting of the HI subscript. Although as Pete and other here have posted
>> I don't recall ever having that problem. Much later on I had to optimize
>> a couple of programs that were slow due to high volume random access of
>> VSAM KSDS files. The solution was to sort the input transactions which
>> took away a lot of the randomness and effectively resulting in cacheing
>> where subsequent transaction could take advantage of data already read by
>> the previous transaction. I have not had a performance problem of any
>> type in the last 20 years.
>>

> Good post, re-establishing some perspective here...:-)
>
>> I suggest we move on to another more interesting thread, perhaps one
>> where two fleas argue over which one owns the dog that they live on.
>
> Two fleas hop out of a theatre.
> One says to the other: "Shall we walk home or catch a dog?"
>
> Pete.
> --
> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."

LMAO

From: pgx on
"Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

| I have not had a
|performance problem of any type in the last 20 years.

Do you pay for the CPU time our of your own pocket?

Phil
From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:37:40 -0400, "Charles Hottel"
<chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>When was the last time anyone posting here ever had a performance problem
>whose solution was related to subscripting or indexing?

That has never been the solution for me.