From: Robert on
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:41:57 -0700, Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:

>On Sep 19, 1:48 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
><dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> "Robert" <n...(a)e.mail> wrote in message
>>
>> news:8sn0f35tq2j9hsrp75rulk5hsfksakvr8m(a)4ax.com...> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:37:40 -0400, "Charles Hottel"
>> > <chot...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Speed is the only reason for using indexes.
>>
>> No it isn't. Many posts here have shown a number of reasons why people use
>> indexes. You are STILL stating what you stated before those posts.
>>
>> So, either, you cannot change your mind, or, you simply ignore what people
>> say if it doesn't match your idea.
>
>Have you just noticed that ?
>
>It usually takes about three posting before Robert even notices
>disagreement, and a couple more before he sees that he was wrong, and
>then he tries to hide his mistake.

Mistake? What mistake? I don't make mistakes.

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:58:41 -0700, Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On Sep 19, 1:55 pm, "Charles Hottel" <chot...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> "William M. Klein" <wmkl...(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote in
>>> messagenews:SIZHi.263081$VU2.141742(a)fe02.news.easynews.com...

>>> If the speeds are comparable then I don't understand what the argument
>>> is
>>> about. Why be for or against either, just use the one that fits your
>>> individual style.
>>
>>Index use should give a compiler error if you use the wrong index for
>>a table. Thus indexes are safer.
>
> Someone said you can use indexes defined on one table for another. Seems
> weird to me; I've
> never tried.
>
>>> Well I remember it use to be that indexex were harder to find in a dump.
>>> think I still have an atricle about how to locate them. But surely that
>>> is
>>> not relevant today. Robert sure knows how to stir up 'much ado about
>>> nothing'. Or is that 'doodoo'?
>>

>>He simply wants to denigrate anyone that has given advice on Cobol so
>>that he becomes the sole messiah of 'good cobol'.

I had to smile at that.

It's like wanting to be the top analog telephone engineer, in a world with a
digital broadband cell phone in every pocket.

Pete.

From: donald tees on
Charles Hottel wrote:
> <pgx(a)pgrahams.com> wrote in message
>> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> | I have not had a
>> |performance problem of any type in the last 20 years.
>> |
>> Do you pay for the CPU time our of your own pocket?
>>
>> Phil
>
> No, but ever since I took a COBOL Efficiencies class long ago I have tried
> to write reasonably efficient code. It is just as easy to get in the habit
> of doing that as it is to avoid it until you have to.

I've always believed that 99% of efficiency is in the algorithmic
design. Once you've decided on the data structure, and the general
approach to the problem, tiny code level decisions are not going to
affect the speed much. They will have an effect, sure, but they won't
fix an inefficient methodology, nor will they completely screw up an
efficient approach.

Donald
From: Judson McClendon on
"donald tees" <donaldtees(a)execulink.com> wrote:

> I've always believed that 99% of efficiency is in the algorithmic design. Once you've decided on the data structure, and the
> general approach to the problem, tiny code level decisions are not going to affect the speed much. They will have an effect, sure,
> but they won't fix an inefficient methodology, nor will they completely screw up an efficient approach.

I agree with you 99%. ;-) There are a few times when poor coding choice
can make for enormous performance hits. One of the things that used to
be a big deal was in blocking and assigning extra buffers for sequential files.
In today's environment, where so much of the 'underpinnings' are already in
place, there are probably a lot fewer of those.

Anybody know of any sequential 'master files' being used anymore?
--
Judson McClendon judmc(a)sunvaley0.com (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:59:14 -0400, donald tees
<donaldtees(a)execulink.com> wrote:

>I've always believed that 99% of efficiency is in the algorithmic
>design. Once you've decided on the data structure, and the general
>approach to the problem, tiny code level decisions are not going to
>affect the speed much. They will have an effect, sure, but they won't
>fix an inefficient methodology, nor will they completely screw up an
>efficient approach.

I'm not sure what this means. Does it include moving stuff outside
of a loop that don't need to be in the loop? Does it include
understanding the database processes and structure? Does it include
understanding how to optimize swap space in the OS? Does it measure
the costs and benefits of a CoBOL sort vs. an external sort?

I have a program that looks to see what campus is running that
program. If it is one of the big campuses, it does an area sweep, if
it's one of the small campuses, it walks the set. This was
determined by testing the speeds of the two choices.