From: dorayme on
In article
<4d5b86a3-2d98-4287-b1fc-6e69ecd9a2b0(a)l6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com
Steve <tinker123(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 12:39 pm, Albert Ross <s...(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > See if some of this guy's ideas work for you
> >
> > http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/-website-layouts
>
> Wow, this site was golden.
>
> I found a template for exactly what I needed and I found tutorials for
> when I want to learn why it works.
>
> I thought CSS was easier than HTML up until now, when I attempted
> something with serious positioning. CSS positioning doesn't seem
> intuitive, at least for gridlike layouts. It doesn't seem like you
> can predict what will do what. I'm guessing it is like everything
> else that once you get practice in it will start to seem intuitive and
> be a time saver?
>
> Thanks Albert & Dorayme!

Weren't you the bloke who asked about how to make a column go all
the way *within* a layout. Not sure if you missed my post where I
showed how a faux column technique could be adapted.

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve1.html>

This sort of thing can sometimes suit and is way simpler than all
singing all dancing layouts. Not that I have anything against a
lot of great singing and dancing.

Here is another technique, get ready to scream: you can use a two
column table for the bit sandwiched between the header and the
footer. Perfect for columning. I won't go into all the arguments
again here but this use of tables is not quite the crime some
people think it is. It is not a pure or paradigm case of using
tables for layout. As in crime generally, each case must be heard
and sentence handed down according to the specific circumstances.

There is also the CSS table way, displaying non table elements as
table in the CSS. Support is mixed.

And, a bit of a favourite of mine, another technique doing the
rounds a while back - using a border as a column and a bit of
negative margining to get text onto the border colour:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve/steve3.html>

--
dorayme
From: Steve on
On May 16, 5:39 pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Weren't you the bloke who asked about how to make a column go all
> the way *within* a layout. Not sure if you missed my post where I
> showed how a faux column technique could be adapted.
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve1.html>

Interesting!

> And, a bit of a favourite of mine, another technique doing the
> rounds a while back - using a border as a column and a bit of
> negative margining to get text onto the border colour:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve/steve3.html>

Interesting!

I think I am going to explore these things even after I am done with
my friends site. I'm finding the different approaches to be
interesting.

I did hear that there is a CSS "table", but as so often is the case, a
lower version of IE still in use doesn't support it.

Steve

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Steve wrote:

> I did hear that there is a CSS "table", but as so often is the case, a
> lower version of IE still in use doesn't support it.

What you have heard is probably based on the misconception that tabular data
should be arranged with CSS instead of using a `table' element because
"tables are evil". In that case, forget about it.

PointedEars
From: Steve on
On May 18, 5:30 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > I did hear that there is a CSS "table", but as so often is the case, a
> > lower version of IE still in use doesn't support it.
>
> What you have heard is probably based on the misconception that tabular data
> should be arranged with CSS instead of using a `table' element because
> "tables are evil".  In that case, forget about it.

Nope. What I read is that HTML tables are for tabular data, never
having been meant to be used as layout grids.
From: Evertjan. on
Steve wrote on 18 mei 2010 in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> On May 18, 5:30�am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>> Steve wrote:
>> > I did hear that there is a CSS "table", but as so often is the
>> > case, a lower version of IE still in use doesn't support it.
>>
>> What you have heard is probably based on the misconception that
>> tabular d
> ata
>> should be arranged with CSS instead of using a `table' element
>> because "tables are evil". �In that case, forget about it.
>
> Nope. What I read is that HTML tables are for tabular data, never
> having been meant to be used as layout grids.

Usenet originally was "never" ment to discuss CSS.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.