From: Steve on
On May 9, 2:25 am, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article
> <56a69853-029c-4e64-94d2-cf227bc9a...(a)h9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com
>
> >,
>  Steve <tinker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all;
>
> > I'm a newbie to CSS.
>
> OK, I can take you part of the way,
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve.html>

Wow, thanks dorayme!

How fascinating. I am so used to thinking of margins as a buffer
zone, rather than as something that would hold content in. I'm even
more glad I asked for help now ( though I learned a lot from
experimenting and futzing ). It never would have occurred to me to
set the margins on the columns to keep the text from shifting.
From: Steve on
On May 9, 2:25 am, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article
> <56a69853-029c-4e64-94d2-cf227bc9a...(a)h9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com
>
> >,
>  Steve <tinker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all;
>
> > I'm a newbie to CSS.
>
> OK, I can take you part of the way,
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve.html>

Wow, thanks much dorayme!

Fascinating. I'm so used to think of margins as just buffer zones, it
never would have occurred to me to set the margin on that column to
hold the content in and keep it from bleeding under the sidebar!

Still glad I spent all of those hours futzing with different tutorials
and methods. I learned a lot of things.

Thanks much for the help!

From: Steve on
On May 9, 2:25 am, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> OK, I can take you part of the way,
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve.html>

Is it possible to modify, without making it more complicated such that
so that the two columns are always of equal height?

Thanks either way
From: dorayme on
In article
<0dfad245-4f51-4279-8a06-0ee12a6e16da(a)t17g2000yqg.googlegroups.co
m>,
Steve <tinker123(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 2:25 am, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > OK, I can take you part of the way,
> >
> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve.html>
>
> Is it possible to modify, without making it more complicated such that
> so that the two columns are always of equal height?

.... no matter what content is in either column?

Different ways to skin this cat without getting "too
complicated". Here is one:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/steve1.html>

--
dorayme
From: Steve on
On May 11, 12:39 pm, Albert Ross <s...(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> See if some of this guy's ideas work for you
>
> http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/-website-layouts

Wow, this site was golden.

I found a template for exactly what I needed and I found tutorials for
when I want to learn why it works.

I thought CSS was easier than HTML up until now, when I attempted
something with serious positioning. CSS positioning doesn't seem
intuitive, at least for gridlike layouts. It doesn't seem like you
can predict what will do what. I'm guessing it is like everything
else that once you get practice in it will start to seem intuitive and
be a time saver?

Thanks Albert & Dorayme!

Steve