From: ���hw��f on
blofelds_cat <blofelds_cat@_SPECTRE.com> pinched out a steaming pile
of<UY1um.42205$ze1.34795(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>> You ~can~ uncap your
>> cable modem, it's not that difficult, but if you get caught doing
it,
>> for example hosting/uploading gigabit level traffic...yeah, they're
>> gonna notice and they're gonna cut yer line. I used to uncap mine
>> regularly to get around triple or higher the download speed and
never
>> heard any complaints out of them (that was with Charter), although
>> these days I find it's a bit more bother than it's really worth,
since
>> the download speed is already real fast and I don't do much
uploading
>> on my end. Really, uploading is about the only real point in
>> uncapping your cable modem. But as I said, do it too much and
they're
>> likely to get pissed off about it, especially if it starts to affect
>> others connections.
>>

>I wouldn't know how to do that.

Looks like its a lot of coding stuff:
http://www.netwide.net/users/CableGuy/HowtoUncapDocsisCompliantCableMod
ems.htm

Try a T1 line instead?

From: Buffalo on

ArseClown wrote:
> G'day all. I have my internet connection with Telstra via a Motorola
> cable modem model SB5100i using an ethernet connection. I was told
> that if I use better cables the data transfer speed will improve.
> Any truth to that? I just have the cables that came with it. I get
> horrible upload speeds of just 20kbps. Also there is a Linksys VOIP
> box inline, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Expert advice
> needed please. ta!

Are you connecting your PC with an USB cable or an Ethernet cable?
Make sure you have the correct drivers for whichever you are using.
ie: drivers for the internet network card
ie: drivers for your USB in your PC
Buffalo
PS: What does Telstra say they think the problem is?

From: Mike Easter on
Posted to 24hshd and aus.computers only

blofelds_cat wrote:

> (This was my post. 'ArseClown' has reposted it for some reason)

S/He reposted your message into 24hoursupport.helpdesk and others. I
read it in 24hshd but I don't read the aus. grops.

>>> G'day all. I have my internet connection with Telstra via a Motorola
>>> cable modem model SB5100i using an ethernet connection. I was told
>>> that if I use better cables the data transfer speed will improve.

You can look at your Motorola cable's signal using

http://192.168.100.1

.... and then selecting Signal and reading the S/N ratio and Downstream
power level and Upstream power in the Upstream section.

--
Mike Easter

From: Buffalo on

Sycho wrote:
> This just in to the alt.2600 news room. On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:02:07
> -0600 it was announced to all in a public briefing, "Buffalo"
> <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> made the following declaration and shocked the
> world when the following was announced:
>

>> ArseClown wrote:
>>> G'day all. I have my internet connection with Telstra via a Motorola
>>> cable modem model SB5100i using an ethernet connection. I was told
>>> that if I use better cables the data transfer speed will improve.
>>> Any truth to that? I just have the cables that came with it. I get
>>> horrible upload speeds of just 20kbps. Also there is a Linksys VOIP
>>> box inline, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Expert advice
>>> needed please. ta!
>>
>> Are you connecting your PC with an USB cable or an Ethernet cable?
>> Make sure you have the correct drivers for whichever you are using.
>> ie: drivers for the internet network card
>> ie: drivers for your USB in your PC
>> Buffalo
>> PS: What does Telstra say they think the problem is?
>>

> heh The solution is simple (if you're using a wired connection).
> Replace the CAT5 cables with CAT5e and upgrade the NIC (Network
> Interface Card) to one that supports a 10/100/1000 Mbps throughput.
>
> CAT5 only supports up to 100 Mbps while CAT5e supports up to 1000 Mbps
> (a gig).
>
> Your speed still won't improve that much while online though because
> you're only getting in bandwidth what the ISP provides for home use.

The OP was only getting 20Kbps not 20Mbps.
How is going to a better cable going to help?
Even a low grade Network Interface Card will give up to 10Mbps.
Buffalo

From: wisdomkiller & pain on
ArseClown wrote:

> G'day all. I have my internet connection with Telstra via a Motorola
> cable modem model SB5100i using an ethernet connection. I was told
> that if I use better cables the data transfer speed will improve.
> Any truth to that? I just have the cables that came with it. I get
> horrible upload speeds of just 20kbps. Also there is a Linksys VOIP
> box inline, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Expert advice
> needed please. ta!

Uhm. 20 kb/s (kilo_bits_/sec) are really low, even for assymetrical
connections like a cabletv.
If you are not mixing up kilobits with kiloBytes (kB/s), it's worse than a
plain old P.O.T.S modem. While 20 kilo_Bytes_ still isn't rocketspeed, but
8times as fast as you said.
Remember, you are talking about _upload_ speeds. A assymetrical connection
like cable or dsl is known for huge speed differences up/downlink.

What is the download speed you get?