From: Twibil on
On Apr 26, 6:55 pm, Nervous Nick <nervous.n...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> You should have stopped and at least tried to capture the scene that
> you saw from thirty miles away.  Why didn't you stop and do this, when
> this was what first awed you about the scene?

An actual good question, and there are two answers:

1. Stopping a motorcycle on a winding two-laned road that has no wide-
level spots in which to pull off and park is contraindicated fom a not-
getting-squashed standpoint.

2. It crossed my mind for a moment anyway, but I'd have had to turn
around, go back 1/4 mile and look for a pull-off point that had the
view I needed, and I simply didn't feel like it.

2 1/2. Besides, at that moment the idea of going and standing knee-
deep in the flowers took priority over taking pictures of the
hillsides from circa 30 miles away.
From: Twibil on
On Apr 26, 6:57 pm, Nervous Nick <nervous.n...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I love it when people point  out things that are not in their photos.

Shakespere must be a closed book to you then.
From: Ofnuts on
On 27/04/2010 00:16, Twibil wrote:
> On Apr 26, 1:12 pm, Ofnuts<o.f.n.u....(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
>>

>> These aren't a picture of flowers but pictures of your bike.
>
> Hmmm, I detect two problems here:
>
> 1. You don't count very well, and therefore lack a sense of
> proportion. There are several million flowers but only one bike in the
> field of view. A singular motorcycle is hardly impressive, but a poppy
> bloom extending to the horizon *is*; motorcycle or no.

It's a picture of your bike because it's smack in the middle and in
focus in the first, and in focus, even bigger, and, by sheer luck, on
one of the rule of thirds points, in the second. The flowers are just a
decor around it (not even focused...) and a lesser part of the image
than the track in front. Post it anywhere and ask what it is, and count
the "bike" answers vs the "flowers" answers.

> 2. You've somehow failed to detect that this is RPD, where we share
> things about digital photography (Occasionally even pictures!), and
> you seem to be operating under the impression that this is rec.it's-
> all-about-Bertrand.

I'm telling you what I (and, I'm ready to bet, many other people) see in
the picture. As you say this is rec.photo.digital, but you may be
confusing it with rec.motorcycle.

--
Bertrand, who owns bike but doesn't take any pictures of it, except
when selling it.
From: Ofnuts on
On 27/04/2010 08:43, Savageduck wrote:
> at is no Beemer, I believe it is somewhat Hondaish.

Indeed. Honda Deauville in some countries (i.e. a Revere with a bulky
fairing, a quite nice commuter).

--
Bertrand
From: Twibil on
On Apr 26, 8:46 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> Well, we do have a few volcanoes which are considered active, six actuall
> > y.
>
> > Are any of 'em interfering with air traffic at the moment?  Spewing
> > red-hot lava?  Threatening homes and livestock?  Scaring the children,
> > even?
>
> > No?
>
> > Then they're not "active" except in a technical sense, and you're
> > simply trolling.
>
> Hey, you were the one who brought up volcanoes!
>
> I just supplied some facts.

Do the words "irrelevant facts" ring any bells with you?

> Where is the troll?

I hope you're kidding.

The words "Fly to California (State slogan: "We've got
no active volcanos just now".) comprise what we call a
"joke" or a "humorous reference".
(In technical terms we could call it a "Dave Barry aside",
because he does that a lot.)

Your "supplying some facts" about volcanos at that point
means that either you missed the joke entirely or you
were intentionally trying to step on/deflate the punch line.

Neither of those things says anything positive about you.

> It seems we are going to have to develop a Law, similar to Godwin's
> Law, for ending a debate after the first introduction of "Troll."
>
> I'm surprised you didn't call me a nazi.

Shrug. Then you're none too swift.

Not too long ago you went to Africa, had a camera stolen, took some
pretty good pictures anyhow, and posted them here; where they were
promptly and undeservedly savaged by the usual crowd of self-appointed
critics/idiots that inhabit every newsgroup on Usenet.

It seems you learned very little from that sequence, because here you
are jumping in with the same crowd.

> BTW. Nice Beemer.

It's a Honda. As you eventually figured out.