From: Arno on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Arno wrote:

>> It seems that the Microsoft USB implementation is not fault
>> tolerant enough. Things that work on Linux without problem
>> fail on different versions of Windows with the same hardware.
>>
>> So, no, it is likely not going to work with Windows. Although
>> there seem to be some specific hubs around that can compensate
>> for these shortcommings.
>>
>> Arno
>>
> I have 2 external USB HDDs connected via 2 hubs and have no such issue
> on XP or Win7. He didn't say if his hubs are self powered or not. You
> must use powered hubs for it to be reliable.

It may also fail with powered hubs. You must have hubs with the
right chipsets. You will create additional problems with cascading
unpowered hubs though, so you need to have the right hubs
and power them.

Since I typically don't have this problem, doing most work with
Linux, I cannot tell you which hubs to get. But a friend of
mine with a lot of USB devices had to search for a while
to find hubs that worked reliably with Windows. It seems this
problem is not limited to USB disks, but also applies other
devices.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
mike wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> Have you tried adding an USB PCI card?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> If you hadn't snipped my post, you'd have read,
>
> "> I need more usb ports and have exhausted my
>> options for internal ports. "

I realize you said that, but I thought when you said "internal ports",
you just meant the internal SATA ports.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Cronos wrote:
> I have 2 external USB HDDs connected via 2 hubs and have no such issue
> on XP or Win7. He didn't say if his hubs are self powered or not. You
> must use powered hubs for it to be reliable.

The same issue occurs with powered hubs too. And for the most part,
external hard drives are themselves self-powered too. I've had nothing
but trouble with USB ports with my previous motherboard. USB 2.0 hubs
would get detected as USB 1.1. USB hard disks would cause BSODs in the
kernel, etc.

Yousuf Khan
From: Cronos on
Arno wrote:

> It may also fail with powered hubs. You must have hubs with the
> right chipsets. You will create additional problems with cascading
> unpowered hubs though, so you need to have the right hubs
> and power them.
>
> Since I typically don't have this problem, doing most work with
> Linux, I cannot tell you which hubs to get. But a friend of
> mine with a lot of USB devices had to search for a while
> to find hubs that worked reliably with Windows. It seems this
> problem is not limited to USB disks, but also applies other
> devices.
>
> Arno

Oh well, I guess I got lucky then. Thing is that USB is designed to
support being daisy chained and can support 132? (not sure of exact
number) daisy chained devices so never heard of this issue before.
From: Cronos on
Yousuf Khan wrote:

> The same issue occurs with powered hubs too. And for the most part,
> external hard drives are themselves self-powered too. I've had nothing
> but trouble with USB ports with my previous motherboard. USB 2.0 hubs
> would get detected as USB 1.1. USB hard disks would cause BSODs in the
> kernel, etc.
>
> Yousuf Khan

What brand of hubs? I bought a passive 4 port Hub made by iogear and was
surprised it was so cheap compared to all the others in the store (even
other iogear hubs) and after buying it I found out why. Not one single
device was detected on the Hub and not on any of the 4 computers I tried
it on either. Back it went to the store for a refund. The Hub I daisy
chain off another Hub is made by Logiix and is good.