From: amerillove on

Things that work on Linux without problem fail on different versions of
Windows with the same hardware.

From: Arno on
amerillove <amerillove.45ytrf(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Things that work on Linux without problem fail on different versions of
> Windows with the same hardware.

Well, sometimes you find messages about sucessful error recovery
in the system log. Linux tries quite hard to make it work again,
possibly beacues driver quality in experimental stages may
not be very good and getting ti to work again allows for better
testing.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Cronos on
amerillove wrote:
> Things that work on Linux without problem fail on different versions of
> Windows with the same hardware.

That works both ways, you know?
From: Arno on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> amerillove wrote:
>> Things that work on Linux without problem fail on different versions of
>> Windows with the same hardware.
>>

> That works both ways, you know?

Rather rarely for storage. Under Linux the typical choices are
works or does not work at all. With Windows you will often
get flakyness instead. The problem is that Windows has a
consumer-grade desktop mindset, while Linux has a server-grade
mindset. A downside of this is that non-server hardware, for
example gaming video cards tend to have far worse support.

Arno

From: Cronos on
Arno wrote:

> Rather rarely for storage. Under Linux the typical choices are
> works or does not work at all. With Windows you will often
> get flakyness instead. The problem is that Windows has a
> consumer-grade desktop mindset, while Linux has a server-grade
> mindset. A downside of this is that non-server hardware, for
> example gaming video cards tend to have far worse support.
>
> Arno

Yea, well, I am a consumer so that is what I want anyway. But anytime I
want to pretend I am a system admin I can fire up the old Mint Linux box
anyway, but I rarely do because Windows just does what I want better
than Linux.