From: mike on
Can I make Storage work thru two USB hubs?

Windows7 ultimate
Dell Dimension 4600

I need more usb ports and have exhausted my
options for internal ports.

I have a universal flash memory card reader with 4 card slots.
I think that means it has its own internal usb hub?

It works flawlessly when connected to a USB2.0 port
on the PC. If I run it thru a usb hub, I get
random lockups during data writes.
Works for small files and for about a dozen 4MB music
files before it locks up.

When it locks up, all four card slots disappear from
the drive list until I unplug/replug the card reader.

Removal policy is set at the default to defeat write cache.

I have no trouble with a usb2 thumb drive accessed through
the hub.

Symptoms point to a problem when two hubs are in series.

I don't have the option to connect the card reader directly
to the PC...other ports tied up on higher priority uses.

Are there any tricks I can use to make this work?
I'm thinking about writing a script to transfer only
one file at a time to (maybe??) eliminate queuing issues.

Ideas?
Thanks,mike
From: Yousuf Khan on
mike wrote:
> Symptoms point to a problem when two hubs are in series.
>
> I don't have the option to connect the card reader directly
> to the PC...other ports tied up on higher priority uses.
>
> Are there any tricks I can use to make this work?
> I'm thinking about writing a script to transfer only
> one file at a time to (maybe??) eliminate queuing issues.

Have you tried adding an USB PCI card?

Yousuf Khan
From: mike on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> mike wrote:
>> Symptoms point to a problem when two hubs are in series.
>>
>> I don't have the option to connect the card reader directly
>> to the PC...other ports tied up on higher priority uses.
>>
>> Are there any tricks I can use to make this work?
>> I'm thinking about writing a script to transfer only
>> one file at a time to (maybe??) eliminate queuing issues.
>

> Have you tried adding an USB PCI card?
>
> Yousuf Khan

If you hadn't snipped my post, you'd have read,

From: Arno on
mike <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote:
> Can I make Storage work thru two USB hubs?
[...]

It seems that the Microsoft USB implementation is not fault
tolerant enough. Things that work on Linux without problem
fail on different versions of Windows with the same hardware.

So, no, it is likely not going to work with Windows. Although
there seem to be some specific hubs around that can compensate
for these shortcommings.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Cronos on
Arno wrote:

> It seems that the Microsoft USB implementation is not fault
> tolerant enough. Things that work on Linux without problem
> fail on different versions of Windows with the same hardware.
>
> So, no, it is likely not going to work with Windows. Although
> there seem to be some specific hubs around that can compensate
> for these shortcommings.
>
> Arno

I have 2 external USB HDDs connected via 2 hubs and have no such issue
on XP or Win7. He didn't say if his hubs are self powered or not. You
must use powered hubs for it to be reliable.