From: Cronos on
BTW, my latest external HDD has both USB 2.0 and ethernet port. It was
$129.99 CAD for 1TB and I connect it via the router and install the
included NDAS software on all my PCs and can now access the HDD from any
PC and my PS3 also. It is made by a company called iProDrive and the HDD
inside is a Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen F2 HD103SI, NDAS software they
provide is Win7 compatible. BestBuy should sell them as I bought mine at
Futureshop which is owned by BestBuy.

Much better way to go for external storage if you have multiple PCs. My
other external HDDs I use a USB switch type Hub that has the Logiix Hub
connected to it but that only allows me to access them via my 2 main PCs
and not all of them.
From: Cronos on
mike wrote:

> I don't have the option to connect the card reader directly
> to the PC...other ports tied up on higher priority uses.
>
> Are there any tricks I can use to make this work?
> I'm thinking about writing a script to transfer only
> one file at a time to (maybe??) eliminate queuing issues.
>
> Ideas?
> Thanks,mike

Why can't you just buy another powered Hub and connect that to another
port and put one of your "high priority" devices on that along with the
card reader? You won't need to daisy chain to do that but I have 2 hubs
daisy chained and have no issues like others are claiming. USB is
designed to be daisy chained compatible. Another option is to buy a USB
2.0 PCI card to give you more internal ports.
From: mike on
Cronos wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> I don't have the option to connect the card reader directly
>> to the PC...other ports tied up on higher priority uses.
>>
>> Are there any tricks I can use to make this work?
>> I'm thinking about writing a script to transfer only
>> one file at a time to (maybe??) eliminate queuing issues.
>>
>> Ideas?
>> Thanks,mike
>
> Why can't you just buy another powered Hub and connect that to another
> port and put one of your "high priority" devices on that along with the
> card reader?

The "high priority" devices are DVD writers and external hard drives.
I haven't done much experimenting on Windows7, but with XP, I had
random lockups with external drives on hubs.

You won't need to daisy chain to do that but I have 2 hubs
> daisy chained and have no issues like others are claiming. USB is
> designed to be daisy chained compatible.

If people would stop snipping my post, they'd know that I suspect
that there's a hub built into the 4-slot card reader that makes
two in series when added to an external hub.

Another option is to buy a USB
> 2.0 PCI card to give you more internal ports.

If people would stop snipping my post, they'd know that
I need more usb ports and have exhausted my
options for internal ports. A PCI card is useless
if you don't have a slot to plug it into.

Yes, I have a zillion options for external drive access.
I'm trying to fix THIS particular problem.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Cronos wrote:
> What brand of hubs? I bought a passive 4 port Hub made by iogear and was
> surprised it was so cheap compared to all the others in the store (even
> other iogear hubs) and after buying it I found out why. Not one single
> device was detected on the Hub and not on any of the 4 computers I tried
> it on either. Back it went to the store for a refund. The Hub I daisy
> chain off another Hub is made by Logiix and is good.

Hell if I know the brand of it, but the internal chipset can be Genesys
Logic. Strangely, I got two hubs, each one with the same chipset, but
one is consistently USB 2.0 speed, while the other one is consistently
USB 1.1 speed.

Yousuf Khan
From: Robert Nichols on
:
:Hell if I know the brand of it, but the internal chipset can be Genesys
:Logic. Strangely, I got two hubs, each one with the same chipset, but
:one is consistently USB 2.0 speed, while the other one is consistently
:USB 1.1 speed.

I have some hubs (SD-U2HUB-4) from Creative I/O that use the Genesys
Logic GL850A chip, and they have been rock solid. For a while I really
thought I had a bad one, but it turned out I had one bad USB Flash drive
that intermittently caused the whole bus to reset, corrupting other
drives in the process. Nothing to do with the hub, except that the hub
provided more opportunity to have other drives connected and corrupted.