From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:51:59 -0700, Thomas Gagne wrote:

> So is there a way to use packaged procedures to select data without
> using cursors? It would be great if I could use the same syntax inside
> SQLDeveloper as I might inside a program, and process the results
> similarly to how normal selects are handled.

No, it is not possible. Oracle does not support local temporary tables
which are alternative to cursors in some other RDBMS systems.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:26:44 -0400, Thomas Gagne
<TandGandGAGNE(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>My background is Sybase & SqlServer. On both, due I'm sure to a common
>heritage, a stored procedure is capable of being as simple or complex as
>the programmer wants. Sometimes, all that is needed is a select
>statement. Sometimes even simple projections may require multiple steps
>to prepare the last SELECT. Additionally, stored procedures are capable
>of returning multiple result sets. I assumed, incorrectly, such a thing
>was not so complicated that it couldn't be easily done inside Oracl

Mickeysoft has never understood the Procedure concept, and ignored the
formal defintiion and abused it to return a result set.
It seems like you belong to the class of sqlserver 'developers' which
is so narrow-minded they automatically reject everything done
differently by Oracle and start bashing Oracle for it.
Luckily sqlserver is incapable of being an enterprise class product,
just because of its poor architecture and vendor lock-in, so your
'objections' are futile.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
From: Thomas Gagne on
Sybrand, no need to be insecure. I'm just trying to figure out how
Oracle programmers do things I've been doing since the early 90s. At
present my task is to figure out how to do write procedures for Oracle
and am trying to discover what it's capabilities are. Packages and
cursors add complexity that doesn't exist in other products. Don't
feel threatened, I'm sure there are features Oracle provides that are
difficult to simulate without complexity in other DBs, like recursive
SELECTs.

But for the purposes of this thread, the topic is stored procedures
and returns data sets either to an interactive user using SQLDeveloper
or an application.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:56:20 -0700, Thomas Gagne wrote:

> Sybrand, no need to be insecure.

Sybrand may be anything, but insecure he's not. Pop psychology on oracle
group is a sign of bad taste. I do dislike Sybrand intensely and I would
use a word starting with "a" and ending in "le" to describe him, but
insecure he's not.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 19, 4:56 pm, Thomas Gagne <tgga...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Sybrand, no need to be insecure.  I'm just trying to figure out how
> Oracle programmers do things I've been doing since the early 90s.   At
> present my task is to figure out how to do write procedures for Oracle
> and am trying to discover what it's capabilities are.  Packages and
> cursors add complexity that doesn't exist in other products.  Don't
> feel threatened, I'm sure there are features Oracle provides that are
> difficult to simulate without complexity in other DBs, like recursive
> SELECTs.
>
> But for the purposes of this thread, the topic is stored procedures
> and returns data sets either to an interactive user using SQLDeveloper
> or an application.

I would recommend that you buy and read ( probably multiple times )
Tom Kyte's book Expert Oracle Architecture.

Read the first chapter a couple of times. Do the shampoo song ( rinse
and repeat ).

You need to understand and harness the power of Oracle ... not keep
repeating I would do this if it were SQL server. That's the road to
purgatory that you are currently traveling on.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: semvmx
Next: 10.2.0.5 Patchset