From: phil_herring on
On Mar 23, 8:25 am, Thomas Gagne <TandGandGA...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Programmer appeal is a strength of MySQL.  Except for its screwy user
> scheme, it's easier to install and manage than either Oracle or Sybase,
> and includes many features near-and-dear to programmers.  More and more,
> programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux,
> and now MySQL thru the IT back door.  I haven't heard or read of anyone
> sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use,
> administer, or program.

Hmm.

I don't wish to offend anyone, by big beef with programmers is that
they tend to regard the DB as "part of the application", and make
their decisions accordingly. That may well be why they choose products
like MySQL when it's simply not appropriate to do so. (Sometimes it
is, sometimes it isn't.)

Frankly, I think decisions like "which RDBMS do we use?" are best left
to people with a better appreciation of the big picture. They might be
an architect, technical manager, DBA, or some combination. But
programmers? Sorry, no. There's more to that decision than how it
looks to the programmers.

-- Phil
From: Bob Jones on
>>> I beg to differ. Some do not need the choice, some are only looking for
>>> MS based products, some don't care about the OS...
>>
>> Saying I don't care about OS is like saying I don't care about cost,
>> features, scalability, and so forth. I have no doubt some companies think
>> Windows is the best solution for everything - at least M$ is one of them.
>
> Not at all. Saying one does not care about the OS can also mean that one
> is willing to pick the OS after the product one wants to use. With
> Windows, Solaris and Linux administrators in house the cost of maintaining
> an additional machine with either OS might be identical.

Isn't that the benefit of having choices?

> But the cost of the application or the choice of applications available
> might differ dramatic. For such a company it is a totally reasonable
> approach to not look at the platforms something can run on in the first
> place but rather on the choice of applications.

Ok, another benefit of having choices.

>>> On the other hand, if you need to support multiple platforms you either
>>> need to make compromises to be able to adjust your product to all of
>>> them - or you need significant more development resources.
>>
>> Why? Oracle has already done that. You talk to the databases the same way
>> across all platforms.
>
> Do you also administer Oracle the same way on all platforms?

Yes for the most part.

> Does it have the same performance characteristics on all platforms?

No, it may not even on the same platform. Does it need to?

> Do all features work the same way on all platforms?

Yes, Oracle is platform-independent. I can't say the same about SQL server
though.

> Is it sufficient to test an application against Oracle on a single
> platform?

Err, I will need a crystal ball to answer that one.

>>> The sheer number of supported OS to choose from is not a value in
>>> itself.
>>
>> Of course, choice has no value. Scalability has no value. Security has no
>> value. Nothing has value.
>
> I never said that choice or any of the other things you mention has no
> value. Why do I get the impression that you intentionally misquote me?

Ok, let me quote you exactly.

"The sheer number of supported OS to choose from is not a value in itself."

From: Noons on
On Mar 23, 8:25 am, Thomas Gagne <TandGandGA...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> In the 21st century, the most expensive component of a system is its
> software, and the most expensive component of that is developer time, so
> "enterprise" had better find a new meaning.

Or had better find cheaper developers, because gthe current crop is
waaaaay over-priced...

> Programmer appeal is a strength of MySQL.  Except for its screwy user
> scheme, it's easier to install and manage than either Oracle or Sybase,
> and includes many features near-and-dear to programmers.

Ease of install has nothing to do with "programmer appeal".

> More and more,
> programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux,
> and now MySQL thru the IT back door.

More and more programmers are being identified as sneaky people.

> I haven't heard or read of anyone
> sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use,
> administer, or program.

You won't hear of anyone "sneaking" Oracle mostly because it is used
in places where responsibility and professionalism are the determinant
factors, as opposed to "sneakyness".

> My observation regarding Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and SqlServer is the need
> to compete for programmer mindshare,

Not for "sneaky" developers?

> 'cause "enterprise" software is
> increasingly more about "enterprise" cost than "enterprise" features,
> which if not available today will be tomorrow for much less.

What's that got to do with "programmer mindshare" and "sneakyness"?

Do you even have a consistent point without changing universe of
discourse halfway through a sentence?
On second thought, don't bother answering: I'm not interested in your
sneaky thoughts!
From: Serge Rielau on
1.
Half of the uses of autonomous transactions I see when enabling Oracle
applications wrap DDL statements.

2.
If Oracle programmers don't need local temp tables then what is BULK
COLLECT, FORALL and INDEX BY all about?
They are everywhere!

--
Serge Rielau
SQL Architect DB2 for LUW

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:49:19 -0400, Serge Rielau wrote:

> If Oracle programmers don't need local temp tables then what is BULK
> COLLECT, FORALL and INDEX BY all about? They are everywhere!

Well, we do need them, but we have fancy names for them and a proper dose
of disdain for the users of other databases which did not come up with
such fancy names for the local temporary tables. Such a common and
ordinary name like "local temp tables" shows a worrying lack of
imagination and creativity.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last