From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:36:52 -0700, Noons wrote:

> More and more programmers are being identified as sneaky people.

Gee, I started feeling like Wylie E. Coyote, pure genius, already.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: joel garry on
On Mar 23, 6:21 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:36:52 -0700, Noons wrote:
> > More and more programmers are being identified as sneaky people.
>
> Gee, I started feeling like Wylie E. Coyote, pure genius, already.
>
> --http://mgogala.freehos.com

But what do geniuses do when they finally succeed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_or_Sonic

I'm struck by the parallel between that ending and scalability issues
coming from developer-think, particularly those coming from the MS
world. I think that may be a message of the Effective Oracle by
Design book, since so many "architects" are just developers who moved
up in the world.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
“What a terrible, terrible man.” Judge goes off about Dr. Phil
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 23, 8:49 am, Serge Rielau <srie...(a)ca.ibm.com> wrote:

snip

> If Oracle programmers don't need local temp tables then what is BULK
> COLLECT, FORALL and INDEX BY all about?
> They are everywhere!

That's stuff inside PLSQL or special proprietary extensions of SQL by
Oracle for more processing power.

The basic mantra of scalable Oracle performance is to take advantage
of the features provided and don't try to do stuff in a database
agnostic/neutral manner.

Logically I guess some of those features kinda/sorta smell like
temporary tables. That's the kind of thing that Thomas Gagne needs to
take the time to learn about if he wants to harness the power of
Oracle. The learning curve takes a while though and you need to throw
out some of the preconceived ideas.
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 22, 9:36 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > More and more,
> > programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux,
> > and now MySQL thru the IT back door.
>
> More and more programmers are being identified as sneaky people.

Bingo! He shoots he scores! Ouch ... someone call a medic!

> > I haven't heard or read of anyone
> > sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use,
> > administer, or program.
>
> You won't hear of anyone "sneaking" Oracle mostly because it is used
> in places where responsibility and professionalism are the determinant
> factors, as opposed to "sneakyness".

Another valid point ... no arguing that responsibility and
professionalism seem to be factors on the decline in IT these days.

Who wants to design an architecture or consider implications when you
can bring in some open source database on your laptop and just start
coding?

> >  'cause "enterprise" software is
> > increasingly more about "enterprise" cost than "enterprise" features,
> > which if not available today will be tomorrow for much less.

Since Thomas knows the features of Oracle so well he probably has a
very good perspective on all sorts of enterprise features in general!
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:20:30 -0700, John Hurley wrote:

>> If Oracle programmers don't need local temp tables then what is BULK
>> COLLECT, FORALL and INDEX BY all about? They are everywhere!
>
> That's stuff inside PLSQL or special proprietary extensions of SQL by
> Oracle for more processing power.

Oh boy, those are local temp tables. You can even do them explicitly by
using /*+ MATERIALIZE */ in a "WITH" clause. And you must admit that the
local temporary tables can be rather handy when you need them.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last