From: Bill Grant on

"BGCSOCAL" <BGCSOCAL(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let me make sure I understand.
>
> when creating the VM, I use a domain logon versus the VMUser it wants to
> default to. Then, theoretically, I could use the same VM name on every PC
> and make the User the username(a)domainnme.ext where the user name is the
> name
> of the person going to use the PC.
>
> Is that right?
> --

No, every machine, physical or virtual needs to have a different name,
especially if it is joined to a domain. The name of a machine has nothing to
do with who created it.

As far as networking and domain membership is concerned, there is really
no difference between a physical machine and a virtual machine. The
networking software and AD do not know or care about that.

Similarly, the account you use to log into the domain is not related to
the machine. All that matters is that your username is a valid domain user.
Using the the username(a)domainname.ext format ensures that you actually log
into the domain, not the local machine.

From: BGCSOCAL on
Thanks, I get it now.
--
Bettie

From: BGCSOCAL on
Mu office mate just delted his virtual machine and created a new one. IT does
not allow you to enter the user name, only the password. this is Win 7
Professional. does enterprise let you enter the name?

If you meant to add a domain user later, that I did. The problem with the
seamless app is that when I clickon the app soemtimes it picks the other
logon and not my domain logon. This is nto a biggie for me, but my users are
sort of computer-impaired.
--
Bettie

From: Magnusb on
There is one thing to look out for when joining a domain with VMs. If
you are making duplicates of an existing VM you need to change the SID
for the VM. This is a "hidden" ID of each machine and if two computers
(virtual or not) have the same computer SID then it will not work
joining the machine on the domain.

There is a tool, changesid which you can use to change the SID.

Not a problem if you create a new VM though.
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:35:42 +0100, Magnusb <magnusb(a)sbbs.se> wrote:

>There is one thing to look out for when joining a domain with VMs. If
>you are making duplicates of an existing VM you need to change the SID
>for the VM. This is a "hidden" ID of each machine and if two computers
>(virtual or not) have the same computer SID then it will not work
>joining the machine on the domain.
>
>There is a tool, changesid which you can use to change the SID.
>
>Not a problem if you create a new VM though.

That's not really a problem either, depending on what you're donig.
See:

The Machine SID Duplication Myth
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

--