From: Dr Teeth on
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:43:46 -0000, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Since you seem intent on bitching, rather than being constructive or
>actually asking for assistance, that's my last word in this thread.

You won't be missed, arrogant git!
--
Cheers,

Guy

From: bs2000 on
ok I went to school for network admin, I have A+ certification, also went to
school for computer science and I can't fix this update. Most users don't
even know about these news groups and the fix (that I tired and didn't work)
an average user could do that without making their system worse, most don't
even want to try!

Now with that said tech support allows one email then the rest is a toll
number. They take half your day and have a 60% chance it will be fixed.
MIcrosoft needs to adress these issues and maybe put together exacutables
that will run through the fixes for those who can't or won't try it in fear
of messing things up.

From: uncle beer on
>Since you seem intent on bitching, rather than being constructive or
>actually asking for assistance, that's my last word in this thread.

Time to turn in your "Valuable" badge, homeslice. :^(

Yours truly,
Uncle Beer

From: Dave Jenkins on

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

[snip]

> The problem occurred for me 2/10 as I downloaded 11 security patches,
> two of which failed to install. If they had just not installed I
> wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that they brought up error messages
> at shutdown and again at restart and return from hibernation is what
> bothers me. I have a shield icon in my traybar saying that updates are
> ready to install. There's only one pending update now(KB886906) and I
> would like to get rid of it.

[snip]

I used Windows Update to "hide" the offending patch, and now I don't get the
errors anymore. Of course, the patch isn't installed, either... Grrr...!

HTH
From: Bill Sharpe on
How do you hide the patch? I see an option at Windows Update to restore
a hidden update -- it's grayed out -- but I can't find the information
about hiding it. It should be there someplace...

MS support for Windows Updates is free. Apparently you get what you pay
for. I am still waiting for a response to fix the kb886906 problem. I
did get the kb886903 problem solved.

I have been using computers since the 1960's and home computers since
1983. In most ways computer usage is much, much easier now than then,
but these last two updates are virtual disasters.

Bill