From: Dave Jenkins on

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

> How do you hide the patch? I see an option at Windows Update to restore
> a hidden update -- it's grayed out -- but I can't find the information
> about hiding it. It should be there someplace...
>
> MS support for Windows Updates is free. Apparently you get what you pay
> for. I am still waiting for a response to fix the kb886906 problem. I
> did get the kb886903 problem solved.
>
> I have been using computers since the 1960's and home computers since
> 1983. In most ways computer usage is much, much easier now than then,
> but these last two updates are virtual disasters.
>
> Bill
>
> "Dave Jenkins" <david.f.jenkins(a)usa.net.(spam-ugh!)> wrote in message
>
> I used Windows Update to "hide" the offending patch, and now I don't get
> the
> errors anymore. Of course, the patch isn't installed, either...
> Grrr...!
>
> HTH

As far as the "disaster " goes, wouldn't you think that MS would add a
feature to Update that would allow them to remove a failed patch update until
they could research the problem, and then reissue the patch?

Anyway, I used Windows Update to hide KB886903. After UD starts, I clicked
Custom Install, and got a display of updates needing to be installed.
There's a "Hide" checkbox by the description for KB886903 - I just checked
that, and it now allows me to stop/start Windows without a whole bunch of
error messages.

I haven't tried resetting the hidden status (also from the Windows Update
main screen), becuase it's not clear that if I do, it won't try to reinstall
it. Kind of a bad UI for that feature, I think...

GL, and let me know if you got it hidden - if not, I'll send you soem screen
shots...
From: Bill Sharpe on
Thank you, Dave, especially for answering so soon on a holiday!

The hide update choice was grayed out for kb886906. Once I unchecked the
update choice I was then able to hide it. My shutdown procedure now
appears to be normal and the shield icon saying there are updates
waiting to be installed has disappeared.

At least now my system is working normally. I'll wait patiently to see
if MS Support comes up with any clues on how I can successfully install
the update.

From: bs2000 on
I contacted microsoft one 2/20 and If i hear naything I will let you guys
know.

All this time I thought my whole computer was messed up especialy in the
registry but I am not going to check that out untill I hear back. Seeing I
tired their remove, repair and install method alread.

From: jonb on
Thanks for the "hide" tip. It worked for me. At least it doesn't try to
install the 2 updates anymore.
I just got a 100+line step "fix" by email from Ms. Liu at MS. I have to
give them credit for replying within 24hrs. She didn't admit 100's/1000's
are affected. She wants me to start by removing my router and then all these
programs which "may interfere with updates". I don't believe it. Receiving
auto updates for 3yrs, why do only these latest 2 fail to install?
TweakMASTER DNS
Web Accelerator
Download Accelerator
GetRight
Browser Blaster

Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall
Zone Alarm Firewall

Until I see more problems, I'm not doing this now. I don't have the time.

Her "fix" is too big to post here, and I don't like posting private emails
on newsgroups.

From: uncle beer on
>I just got a 100+line step "fix" by email from Ms. Liu at MS.

Holy smokes.

Y'know, I wouldn't mind so much if the MVPs would just say, "Yeah, we see
there's a substantial problem here, and we've alerted the folks in Redmond.
Please just hold tight until the home office can code out a fix-um
executable".

Heloooooooo...

Yours truly,
Uncle Beer