From: JHepple on
I've installed the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1
Service Pack 1 (KB886903) on five computers with no problem but it fails on
my main web development computer. Anybody have any ideas? Here's the debugger
dump:

'SL12.tmp': Loaded
'c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.
'SL12.tmp': Loaded 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.SAT\LOCALS~1\Temp\SL12.tmp', No
symbols loaded.
'SL12.tmp': Loaded 'Microsoft.Cabinet.MiniExtract', No symbols loaded.
'SL12.tmp': Loaded 'PatchExec', No symbols loaded.
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException'
occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.

The program '[1096] SL12.tmp' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

From: want2knw on
All this info is too technical for me. I just hope a revised update comes out
soon for 886903 and they fix any other problems before plaguing my little
home computer with "unable to install" in the security sectors again. It
makes me nervous! I'd also like to know how happy everyone else is with sp2?
by the way now there are at least 7 of us.

From: Bill Sharpe on
I, for one, am happy with SP2. It's the NET framework upgrades that are
driving me nuts. Dotnetfix took care of the ...903 upgrade but the
....906 upgrade is still in limbo.

Bill

From: jonb on
Have you submitted that dump in a MS problem report on this page?:
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
I didn't give them that dump. But they did reply within 24hrs with a
100+step "fix" that is way above my expertise to do and would require hours.
The more who submit formal problem reports, the more attention this will get!

From: bs2000 on
This is a four step solution that worked for me. It's very easy guys!
Microsoft actualy got back to me.

..NET Framework component is corrupted. Since we have released Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1, we do not need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 and
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 any more.

I suggest we follow the steps below to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework
and then install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1
Service Pack 1 to resolve this issue.

First, let's use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Microsoft
..NET Framework.

1. Please download msicuu2.exe from the following link.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe>

2. Open it, we should be able to see the msicuu2.exe file. Double click
msicuu2.exe to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

3. After installing it, please go to the Start menu => All Programs and find
the Windows Installer Clean Up item.

4. Remove any items that are related to Microsoft .NET Framework (including
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1) in the Windows Installer Clean Up
window.

After that, please download Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 from the
following link and reinstall it.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en>

Then, please download the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from
the following link:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en>

AFter you do this the windows updates still want to be installed: go back a
few post and see how to hide them. You will be all set and have the patch!