From: MowGreen on
*** What is the installed antivirus/security suite and, is a 3rd party
firewall being used ? ****

Please try another attempt at updating. Was the system able to search
for updates ? Whether it can or can not, please post at least the last
50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply, James:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: JamesJ on
AVG Free anti-virus and no 3rd party firewall.

From: MowGreen on
I repeat:

From: JamesJ on
I don't believe I stated that I was having trouble using windows update but
here is the windowsupdate.log contents:
2009-09-29 09:31:03:538 3496 dc4 Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.2.6001.788, tz: -0400) ===========
2009-09-29 09:31:03:538 3496 dc4 Misc = Process:
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
2009-09-29 09:31:03:538 3496 dc4 AUClnt Launched Client UI process
2009-09-29 09:31:04:694 3496 dc4 Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.2.6001.788, tz: -0400) ===========
2009-09-29 09:31:04:694 3496 dc4 Misc = Process:
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
2009-09-29 09:31:04:694 3496 dc4 Misc = Module:
C:\Windows\system32\wucltux.dll
2009-09-29 09:31:04:694 3496 dc4 CltUI AU client got new directive =
'Interactive Progress', serviceId = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77},
return = 0
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 AUClnt WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed
(dwMessage=0x0, uFlags=0x3, hr=0x80070002)
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 AUClnt WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed
(dwMessage=0x0, uFlags=0x3, hr=0x80070002)
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 AUClnt WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed
(dwMessage=0x0, uFlags=0x3, hr=0x80070002)
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 AUClnt WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed
(dwMessage=0x0, uFlags=0x3, hr=0x80070002)
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 CltUI WARNING: Failed to create AU
interactive progress tray icon UI, hr=80243004
2009-09-29 09:31:04:788 3496 dc4 CltUI Failed to create tray icon for
directive 'Interactive Progress' (hr=80243004); will retry.
2009-09-29 09:31:19:974 3496 dc4 CltUI AU client got new directive =
'Interactive Progress', serviceId = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77},
return = 0
2009-09-29 02:01:43:568 3496 dc4 CltUI AU client got new directive = 'Reboot
Pending', serviceId = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, return = 0
2009-09-29 02:01:48:927 2676 9bc Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.2.6001.788, tz: -0400) ===========
2009-09-29 02:01:48:927 2676 9bc Misc = Process: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
2009-09-29 02:01:48:927 2676 9bc Misc = Module:
C:\Windows\system32\wucltux.dll
2009-09-29 02:01:48:927 2676 9bc Misc WARNING: SUS Client is rebooting
system.

Seems it only logged from september 2009.

From: MowGreen on
80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process

The error is stemming from AVG preventing the installation of the
Microsoft Update software component.

Clean boot Vista to eliminate AVG's interference:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Reboot, still to a clean state, and do another search for updates from
MU. If the system can search for updates from MU, then undo the clean
boot steps, reboot, and see if it can still search for updates.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten