From: JamesJ on
When I check for updates with Office Access it doesn't send me to
the office web site and it doesn't trigger Windows Update.
I suggests I install Microsoft Update.
But, of course, I get the following error number:
Error number: 0x80070002
I am told:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the "
I try later on and the same thing.
No I didn't try all the options.

So there is a controversy among Microsoft products as to which update
service to use?

Should I use Microsoft Update or Windows Update?

If Microsoft Update is preferable how do I install it??

James

From: MowGreen on
James,

The "office web site" ( actually, the Office Update site ) no longer
exists. To update *all* installed MS software, not just Windows, you'll
need to opt the system into Microsoft Update.

The error code you posted indicates that there's a file missing.
If the edition of Windows you're running is XP, then suggest you clean
boot it (remember to check that the native XP firewall is now Enabled in
Control Panel *if* a 3rd party firewall is being used), open Internet
Explorer, click Tools > Windows Update, and then try to opt into MU
again while the system is in the clean boot state:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: JamesJ on
Sorry I should have mentioned os.

Vista Basic 32bit sp2.

Not sure if that helps.

James

From: MowGreen on
Click the Start orb, click All Programs, *right* click Internet Explorer
and choose 'Run as administrator'. Enter a password if one is used and
click OK; if no p/w is used, click the Continue button.
IE is now open in Elevated Mode.

Open Windows Update in Control Panel.
Click the Change settings link in the left frame.
IF the lastest Windows Update Agent is installed, put a check mark in
the box under Microsoft Update.
Click OK.
IE should now be showing the MU opt in page.
Follow the instructions and the system should now be opted into MU.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

From: JamesJ on
When I run IE as administrator IE opens to my start page which is
About:Blank.
I got no Continue button.
I checked the settings in Windows Update and the check box was already
checked under Microsoft Update.
After I clicked OK IE didn't show the MU opt in page, only the About:Blank.

I know I missing something.