From: JamesJ on
I selected 'Selective startup' and unchecked 'Load startup items'.
In the services tab I checked 'Hide all Microsoft services' and
clicked 'Disable all' which was only AVG Watchdog.
The same thing happened when I tried to install Microsoft Update... No
difference.
Problem with the clean boot is after I rebooted AVG Watchdog reenabled
itself somehow and
there were several AVG services running even though I did a clean boot.

I even started up in 'safe mode with networking' and checked Task Manager
and
saw no AVG services running and tried again to install MU and it failed once
again.
So, at this point I don't believe it's AVG.
If I recall this same problem happened when I had Microsoft Security
Essentials installed
instead of AVG.

James

From: MowGreen on
Going by the WU.log that you've posted -

1) The system has the previous Version of the Windows Update Agent
installed.
2) It has not been updated since September and the last attempt at
updating failed due to files being used by **another process**.
3) The tray icon that notifies the User about updates can not be created.
4) The system can not opt into Microsoft Update.

I'd say that's a *clear* indication that it's having issues using
Windows or Microsoft Update.
Frankly speaking, all of the above signs clearly indicates one of the
following

1) The presence of malware that is preventing the system from opting
into MU and preventing it from updating

2) The OS is severely/corrupted/damaged.

It's your system. Do what you want with it.
If I was working on it I would not futz around with any fixes, rather,
I'd make sure that any personal data that the client wants preserved is
backed up.
Then I'd format the HD and reinstall Vista.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: JamesJ on
Ok.

Thanks,
James

From: JamesJ on
So it appears I possibly had malware infection in september?
I formatted my HD about that time.

Some questions on this Microsoft Update problem.
After formatting HD and reinstalling Vista, what is the best way get and install Microsoft Update?
Should I install my Office product and try to get updates from there (which is how I discovered this problem)?
How will I know if MU is what is being used for my updates?

From: MowGreen on
What was the exact date the HD was formatted, did you do an "in-place
upgrade" (aka Repair Installation) or a Clean installation, and why was
it done, James ?

Does the installation media or recovery partition include SP1 or SP2 ?

Have you scanned the system with another malware detection tool or
program lately ... such as Malwarebytes anti-malware ?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The most reliable and quickest way to install Vista and get it updated
is to install it, then manually download, *save*, and install the
Service Packs that include *all* prequisite updates with no security
software (antivirus/security suite) installed.
After getting Vista to SP2, then one should install the AV.

To opt into Microsoft Update, use the Windows Update applet in Control
Panel. The system *must* be restarted after opting into MU even if
you're *not* prompted to.
If there's a Permissions issue, then open IE8 in Elevated Mode by using
the *right* click 'Run as admin' method.
Opting into MU will also allow Office to obtain updates as the Office
Update site no longer exists.

You can ascertain that the system is opted into MU via the Windows
Update Control Panel applet.
With the latest Windows Update Agent installed it will show

You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten